Moroccan Mosasaurs names?

Jurassicz1

Hi! As I have read about Moroccan Mosasaurs. And know if there is any new species or updated names?

Halisaurus walkeri.

I have read that this is a temporary name for this new? Rare? Mosasaur.

Read also that the teeth are all the same size, probably young adult, and Mosasaur migrants.

Not sure if this is real.

Prognathodon giganteus

I have a Mosasaur tooth labeled as a p. giganteus. But I have not seen sellers use this name. Is it outdated?

Liodon anceps

This one I also have labeld as liodon anceps. But I have seen teeth being labeld as Prognathodon anceps. Same species? 

These are the ones that I'm not sure about the species name. But I know there are tons more of Moroccan Mosasaurs. If anyone knows more info about new species, updated names and so on share them!

Regards

Pluridens (Halisaurus) walkeri is a species from Niger and does not occur in Morocco. Remains of a halisaurine mosasaur similar to P. walkeri have been known to occur in the Moroccan Phosphates for a long time, but it wasn't until recent study came out that the species was finally identified as a new type of mosasaur, Pluridens serpentis. It is common in Morocco. 

Prognathodon giganteus is one of the many prognathodontid mosasaurs thought to be present in the Moroccan Phosphates. Considerable confusion surrounds the genus Prognathodon as the clade is grossly polyphyletic due to a century of being used as wastebasket taxon. Currently, the species is recognized as valid, but this may change due to the potentially undiagnostic nature of the holotype. 

"Prognathodon anceps" is the informal name given by fossil dealers to fossils of an unnamed Moroccan prognathodontid, Prognathodon sp. nov. (=Leiodon anceps). The species has previously been referred to as Leiodon ancepsLiodon ancepsMosasaurus anceps, and Prognathodon anceps in old publications. It is the most common mosasaur in the Moroccan Phosphates, but has never been formally described (likely due to the complex taxonomic mess surrounding Prognathodon).

This is the most up-to-date list of mosasaurs recognized as present in the Moroccan Phosphates (from Rempert et al., 2021). It is likely to change as future discoveries are made.  

1980344208_modifiedRempertetal_2021.JPG.c8fb89cfff2d0840dd57d3fbcf2f4f05.JPG

• I found this Informative 6
  • I Agree 1

Nothing much to add here, Trevor's said it all! ;)

• Enjoyed 2

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

4 hours ago, Praefectus said:

Pluridens (Halisaurus) walkeri is a species from Niger and does not occur in Morocco. Remains of a halisaurine mosasaur similar to P. walkeri have been known to occur in the Moroccan Phosphates for a long time, but it wasn't until recent study came out that the species was finally identified as a new type of mosasaur, Pluridens serpentis. It is common in Morocco. 

Prognathodon giganteus is one of the many prognathodontid mosasaurs thought to be present in the Moroccan Phosphates. Considerable confusion surrounds the genus Prognathodon as the clade is grossly polyphyletic due to a century of being used as wastebasket taxon. Currently, the species is recognized as valid, but this may change due to the potentially undiagnostic nature of the holotype. 

"Prognathodon anceps" is the informal name given by fossil dealers to fossils of an unnamed Moroccan prognathodontid, Prognathodon sp. nov. (=Leiodon anceps). The species has previously been referred to as Leiodon ancepsLiodon ancepsMosasaurus anceps, and Prognathodon anceps in old publications. It is the most common mosasaur in the Moroccan Phosphates, but has never been formally described (likely due to the complex taxonomic mess surrounding Prognathodon).

This is the most up-to-date list of mosasaurs recognized as present in the Moroccan Phosphates (from Rempert et al., 2021). It is likely to change as future discoveries are made.  

Thanks for the amazing informative respond! :)

4 hours ago, Praefectus said:

But one more thing to add. Is globidens not igdamanosaurus aegyptiacus? Or is that a unvalid name? And what about platecarpus ptychodon?

Edited by Jurassicz1

4 hours ago, Jurassicz said:

But one more thing to add. Is globidens not igdamanosaurus aegyptiacus? Or is that a unvalid name?

They're two different genera with different tooth morphology (see this thread), although they're often confused due to issues of historic name changes. Much like 'Halisaurus walkeri', however, Igdamanosaurus was also originally described from Niger by Lingham-Soliar (1991), and has not been officially recognized from Morocco.

And what about platecarpus ptychodon?

Much the same as 'Halisaurus walkeri', this was never a valid genus, and has recently been described as Gavialimimus almaghribensis (see Strong et al., 2020).

Edited by pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon
  • I found this Informative 2

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

3 minutes ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

They're two different genera with different tooth morphology (see this thread), although they're often confused due to issues of historic name changes. Much like Halisaurus walkeri, however, Igdamanosaurus was also originally described from Niger by Lingham-Soliar (1991), and has not been officially recognized from Morocco.

This was never a valid genus, and has recently been described as Gavialimimus almaghribensis (see Strong et al., 2020).

Oh ok thanks! Btw i sent a pm. Hope my answer is okay and not to unspecific. 

11 hours ago, Praefectus said:

Interesting to see M. hoffmanni on this list in disagreement with Street & Caldwell 2017.

What is the cited reference for Rempert et al. 2021? mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmail.yimg.com%2Fok%2Fu%2Fassets%2Fimg%2Femoticons%2Femo71.gif&t=1638121083&ymreqid=23281213-8dc1-3cff-1c1d-41001e01eb00&sig=wJbB3sDGOM7NIpMI8mtPJQ--~D

Street, H.P. & Caldwell, M.W. 2017

Rediagnosis and redescription of Mosasaurus hoffmannii (Squamata: Mosasauridae) and an assessment of species assigned to the genus Mosasaurus.

Geological Magazine, 154(3):521-557  PDF LINK

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

1 hour ago, piranha said:

What is the cited reference for Rempert et al. 2021? mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmail.yimg.com%2Fok%2Fu%2Fassets%2Fimg%2Femoticons%2Femo71.gif&t=1638121083&ymreqid=23281213-8dc1-3cff-1c1d-41001e01eb00&sig=wJbB3sDGOM7NIpMI8mtPJQ--~D

In effect, this article is still in publication. But, as I understand it, it's expected to appear in The Journal of Paleontological Sciences somewhere over the course of the coming month.

• Enjoyed 1

7 minutes ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

In effect, this article is still in publication. But, as I understand it, it's expected to appear in The Journal of Paleontological Sciences somewhere over the course of the coming month.

It should be noted however, the caveat here is a non peer reviewed journal:

image.thumb.png.ae5c6833f2ea0b2e06c7981a55b80e95.png

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, piranha said:

It should be noted however, the caveat here is a non peer reviewed journal:

Oh dear, have I opened pandora's box for a conversation on academic publishing practices? I guess this is what I get for citing a paper that is not quite published. I didn't think anyone would notice. :duh2: Let's save this conversation for next month when the paper comes out. Then people can read the manuscript's full contents and judge whether the conclusions it draws are valid or not. 

It should be noted that all JPS articles do undergo peer-review and this paper was no exception. :Smiling:

Edited by Praefectus
added smileys to make message read nicer
  • I Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Praefectus said:

Oh dear, have I opened pandora's box for a conversation on academic publishing practices? I guess this is what I get for citing a paper that is not quite published. Let's save this conversation for next month when the paper comes out. Then people can read the manuscript's full contents and judge whether the conclusions it draws are valid or not. 

It should be noted that all JPS articles do undergo peer-review and this paper was no exception. 

The Editorial Board at JPS is comprised of many commercial dealers and an auction site.

I'm not very familiar with JPS, but it does seem to be more in the realm of grey literature:

"However, at this time, JPS will not publish manuscripts naming new species, genera, families or higher taxonomic names."

• 1 month later...

More information on the article referenced can be found in the below thread: