Display fossils on sand/matrix/gravel -- does it damage them?

FF7_Yuffie

Rather than displaying my eggs in a  bog standard display case, I have a vague idea to display them on a bed of sand/matrix/gravel --- either looking like they are just being excavated or arranged almost like a small nest with a few plastic plants and things to make it look a bit like a nest site. But would the sand eventually damage/wear away the fossils over time? If not, would wrapping the lower half (in contact with the matrix) in some thin, clear plastic be enough protection while they sit in the sand/matrix?

Think it'd make for an interesting looking fossil display, if I can get it looking right.

If the fossils and/or sand/matrix/gravel were moving constantly, then yes, it would damage the fossils over time. But if everything is stationary, then I don't see that there would be a problem. Think of sandpaper just sitting on something as opposed to be moved back and forth over the surface. Stationary, it does nothing, but moving, the grit begins to wear away the surface. Protecting the bases of the eggs wouldn't be a bad idea, but for the most part, I don't think sand or whatnot would hurt the fossils in a static display. But let others weigh in before deciding. They may know more. :Wink1:

Edited by daves64
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 2

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

I pretty much agree with what @daves64 said, with the additions that 1) the larger the grain size (rocks over pebbles, pebbles over sand) the more likely damaged will be caused, as any edges present will also be bigger (even if you use rounded rocks and pebbles); 2) you'd need to take (the potential for) earth quakes in your region into account (our region is generally earth quake free, but a year or so ago we locally experienced a number of them on a regular basis due to operations in geothermal energy just a couple of kilometers away; even though they seem to have come to an end, as has the mining of geothermal energy, I now test all my displays to make sure they can withstand slight tremors); and 3) even traffic (trucks and buses in particular) passing by a couple of streets down from where you live, as well as vibrations from walking in the room with the display, may also cause minute damage that, when accumulated over time, will also wear the fossils down. But then again, what doesn't? I think only storage in padded drawers might not. But then you didn't be able to look are your specimens... I, personally, wouldn't do it, as I value the pieces scientific value over their display value. But, then again, I do have all my specimens on display, not always as well protected from dust as I'd want, but at least in a moisture controlled environment and away from the harmful UV in sunlight.

Very interested to hear what others have to say on this topic. I know @Gareth_ displays his fossils in a similar way to what you're suggesting, so it could be interesting to hear his thoughts on this, especially since part of the decision is based on personal opinion and preference...

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

While my city is surrounded by 48 dormant volcanoes, I'll be honest and did not take an eruption into consideration when deciding how to display my fossils Haha. Ok seriously, my house is in a very quiet area (a big truck can't fit down my road), the cabinet is on a tiled floor so there is no movement from vibration with kids racing around the lounge.

In a previous house I lived very close to train tracks (shook the house), with periodic earthquakes and these would have been a genuine concern if I had fossils to display back then. 

I went through a few packs of stones, of various sizes and colours before settling on what you see in the pics. 

Some were too large and quite coarse. Some were a little powdery and I needed to thoroughly wash and dry them first. Some didnt act as a blank backdrop, too much colour distracted from what is on display.

I found these stones (pictured) at a local hardware shop, the colour is stable (doesn't rub off), the size is good (I can make a little divot to help keep the fossil stable) and they're all nice and smooth.

My fossils are mostly fairly robust teeth and I have absolutely no issues with the way I'm displaying the fossils.

The case with the lid was NZ$15 bucks, a put a layer of bubble wrap under the stones so they're not in direct contact with glass.

The case with no lid was $8

16380896205648932887127829204968.jpg

16380896544199126923362630610171.jpg

16380897922253427583048120161698.jpg

16380898251297922218082089966517.jpg

• Enjoyed 2

50 minutes ago, Gareth_ said:

16380896205648932887127829204968.jpg

16380896544199126923362630610171.jpg

16380897922253427583048120161698.jpg

16380898251297922218082089966517.jpg

I think these cases look great, @Gareth_! Especially the one with the sharks' teeth looks very impressive! Thanks for sharing! :D

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

Thanks @pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon:) I've used other items for display in the past but have settled on these glass cases now, tidy and practical if I need to pack my fossils up and take them somewhere.

I'm having difficulty with the Megalodon case though.... 

This is how it started, 2 colours to separate the two teeth and the black rocks don't work well with the smaller tooth but do work with the lighter coloured tooth.

16380935399857395404431934436167.jpg

• Enjoyed 2

4 minutes ago, Gareth_ said:

This is how it started, 2 colours to separate the two teeth and the black rocks don't work well with the smaller tooth but do work with the lighter coloured tooth.

Yeah, the problem sounds very familiar. Though I store/display my fossils on foam, I most often use a white foam, which mostly works well for the dark-coloured specimens in my collection. However, some fossils come out better on a dark background. Unfortunately, though, there are no black foam mats for the display cases I use, so I've had to resort to all kinds of alternatives :(

5 minutes ago, Gareth_ said:

My problem is, I've added to the collection! Now real estate is at a premium in this case Haha 

This is how it is now

16380942076953585351507863614428.jpg

16380943180363162528945289392574.jpg

Still looks very nice, if you ask me, and certainly not as packed as some of my displays are. Whenever a new fossil comes in at my address I basically need to reorder multiple shelves to make space for it! :D

• Enjoyed 1

I used to display my big shark teeth individually and has my collection grew real estate was the biggest factor that moved me to Rikers.  Now only certain ones are displayed individually.

To address the initial question I agree placing any fossil on something that is static like a bed of sand etc should be fine, not sure you need plastic.  In sand would also be a good way to hide those areas that have imperfections.  Not sure about the plastic plants.

• Enjoyed 2

55 minutes ago, Troodon said:

[...] not sure you need plastic.

I think the mention of bubble wrap was mostly to protect the glass of the cases, rather than as a way to moderate vibration. Still, it's possible that it'd have that effect as well...

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Thanks for the help everyone. Seems like ill be ok doing it.

It is similar @Gareth_ that I was planning, just with larger cases (they look great by the way) and hopefully with matrix similar color to where they were found. 

@pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon the plastic was thin sheet to cover the base in contact with sand/gravel.

It seems sand is a better choice. Like @Troodon said, can cover inperfections--i didnt consider that idea

Thanks