Help identifying fossil found in Texas

Txhawg

Hello,

I'll admit I have zero experience with fossils.   

One day while waking or property I found this fossil.   I am interested to discover what it is and how old it may be. 

It was found about a mile east of the Trinity River near Palestine,  TX.  I was surprised that it was on top of the soil, but the area is prone to erosion.   It's about 2 inches in length and has some obvious texture to it. 

Hopefully my pictures are clear enough for identification and/or dating. 

20211128_140350.jpg

20211128_140404.jpg

20211128_140417.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

Neat find. Looks to be an oyster (such as Exogyra sp.). If I'm not mistaken, the large oyster fossils in Texas date back to the Cretaceous period. Our Texas fossil-hounds will likely be around shortly to provide more accurate identification.

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I think it is a bivalve, possibly something like Trigonia sp.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Interesting. I have never seen Cretaceous bivalve looks like that before.  According to the geologic map you are in the  Eocene / Tertiary zone, but could contain some Cretaceous exposure.  

image.png.c03816c965225b2abc3809b9f43a11a9.png

Edited by Creek - Don
  • I Agree 1

I agree with @Creek - Don that the Reklaw Formation is most likely. It consists of deposits laid down between 56 and 34 million years ago during the Eocene Epoch which are said to contain marine bivalve imprints and @JohnJ seems to have found a good fit.

• I found this Informative 2

Thanks for the replies.. 

Well, my first post on here, and I screwed it up, LOL.

Not sure if it makes a difference, but I should have said about a mile WEST of the Trinity, not east.  I found it here, where the red circle is:  (sorry, I don't know what software/website Creek - Don is using, so I plagiarized his picture)

image.png.c03816c965225b2abc3809b9f43a11a9.png

@Txhawg

No worries.  The geology is the same; it's still Reklaw Formation.  

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

On 11/29/2021 at 9:45 AM, Txhawg said:

(sorry, I don't know what software/website Creek - Don is using, so I plagiarized his picture)

I don't either but there are several. One free app you can put on your cell phone is "rockd" and it's free. Keep in mind that geological maps display the deposits on the surface or just under the topsoil so when there is an excavation or a creek eroded down to lower bedrock sometimes you want to look at surrounding formations on the map to find older formations that might get exposed.