Osteodontokeratic

Hi,

I am having trouble identifying what appears to be a plant fossil.  I found it recently at Ft. Gibson Dam in Oklahoma.  The most tell-tale markings are in the lower right hand corner of the attached photo.  Any I.D. will be much appreciated.  Also does anyone know the formation?  Pitkin Ls, from the Mississippian is at the dam, but my ROCKD app had the formation as Atoka, which is Pennsylvanian.

Thanks to PetrolPete for guiding me to this site.

1428336759_FtGibsonDamPlantFossil.jpg

Can't be certain from this one photo but, to me, this looks like a lump of limestone with steps caused by erosion along the bedding planes at different levels and showing fracture marks. 

• I Agree 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I don't think it would hurt to try to split it open to expose more of the feature, but I doubt it is a plant fossil.

The high bank near the dam has Pitkin Loimestone at the base but it's mostly covered by a cement retainer to prevent erosion. Above that it Sausbee and McCully Formations and Atokan Sandstone at the top. Lots of archimedes wortheni there. There are three brachiopods found in the Pitkin with rays that may be similar: Orthotetes kaskakeinsis, Diaphragnus astriensis and Anthracospirifer sp.

Thanks All,

I may try to split it.  Kind of bummed that it probably is not a plant fossil though.  I think it is shale.  Actually it is a light blue color.  Should have not taken the photo in direct sunlight.

It came from the East side of the dam in the roadcut.  There was a fair amount of Archimedes there and a few Pentremites fragments. 

Along the Spillway I did find quite a few brachiopods.  Will try to I.D. them Bob.  I had just started collecting there when the horn blew, so I had to hightail it out of there.

Thanks again for all of your help.