Nanotyrannus35

I'd found this dinosaur bone on an online website and it looks like it might have bite marks. It's from the Hell Creek Formation of Harding Co. South Dakota. Here are the pictures.

Fossil Dinosaur Bone Excellent Partial Limb Bone End image 1

Fossil Dinosaur Bone Excellent Partial Limb Bone End image 3

Fossil Dinosaur Bone Excellent Partial Limb Bone End image 9

:trex::brokebone: Enthusiastic Fossil Hunter bone_brokerev.pngtrexrev.png

It's probably a tough call, but I lean towards them not being tooth marks. Upon closer viewing, I can't see a break in the bone texture in the marks, which doesn't support damage to the bone surface. 

il_1588xN.2274314974_8red.jpg.d592cff24c26dde585caffbaf8ae4e42.jpg

For comparison (Tyrannosaur):

231606823_ScreenShot2021-12-01at12_26_35AM.thumb.png.13dd81c582306fc16afffa28a6f337e8.png

59839116_ScreenShot2021-12-01at12_26_23AM.thumb.png.e65b4512ad8dccc26830a05ce3f0735d.png

704347780_ScreenShot2021-12-01at12_26_00AM.thumb.png.7de97a0fc5b535149c30524921ea0b6a.png

The gouges are characterized by "a U to V-shaped section that tapers at either end."

^https://www.researchgate.net/publication/47545561_Cannibalism_in_Tyrannosaurus_rex

Edited by ThePhysicist

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

Most predation type gouges are a pretty difficult call especially on very weathered items like the one you are showing.   Something happened to create them but I cannot definitively say they are bite marks.

It also appears the marks taper closer together towards one side.  Tooth marks couldnt do that.

• I Agree 1

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

Really hard to tell.  The marks do look like scar marks that healed.  The way the grooves diverge makes me think they are not teeth marks.  Maybe Claw marks?

19 hours ago, hadrosauridae said:

It also appears the marks taper closer together towards one side.  Tooth marks couldnt do that.

That was my thought exactly.