SE Pennsylvania streambed find

Berwicker

Hi everyone,

I live in southeastern Pennsylvania in a small town just north of the Delaware/Pennsylvania border.  I live on the edge of a large neighborhood next to a very old plot of woods with very large old growth trees.  Next to my house is a stream that exits out of the neighborhood through a drainage pipe and into the woods.  The streambed cuts down through into the ground about 6 feet below grade and when it rains heavy, the stream becomes a torrent of runoff that dredges up rocks making it an interesting place to walk after a storm.  I've found many interesting rocks and even some petrified wood, most of which I believe is of the sandstone variety, but interesting none the less.  About a year ago I found an interesting rock that I couldn't identify as anything specific but it was odd enough to place it up on the embankment on a wall of rock along with lots of other interesting finds I've made.  It sat there for about 6 months, during which time the rain cleaned off the dirt and loose debris until one day I though this is really interesting and I brought it inside.  I found this piece just down stream from a spot where a large pipe dumps storm water into the stream and cuts a large hole or pothole in the streambed and dredges up rocks from deeper below, maybe 3 to 4 feet deeper than the 6 feet below the floor of the woods.  I'm not sure what to make of this but to my untrained eye, it looks very similar to bone structure that I've seen and also looks similar to other skull fragments discussed on this forum.  I'd like to get some opinions as to what this might be.  The location is about 2 miles north of Marcus Hook PA in Delaware County in a section of woods that as far as I can tell, has never been developed at lease not as far back as the 1800's when the entire area was farmland.  During that time and now, these woods follow a stream that has been here for a long time undisturbed but surrounded by development.   So here are some photos.  If you needs any more photos or measurements please let me know.  Thanks.

Berwicker 

20210729_152942.jpg

20210729_153016.jpg

20210729_153019.jpg

20210729_153033.jpg

20210729_153041.jpg

20210729_152959.jpg

Edited by Berwicker
distance typo

I don't recognize any bone-like structure to this but it does resemble calcite deposits similar to a structure found in caves called boxwork. It is the result of erosion around calcite veins but there is also other geologic material that is similar. You can also see layers in one view characteristic of sedimentary deposits. Interesting find. I certainly would have taken it home.

• I Agree 4

Nice example of boxwork.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

It's not a fossil, but it's a keeper.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

The Internet is a great tool.  Thank you for explaining what I did not know.  I can see now through examples and photos online that this is an example of boxwork.  I think its interesting that I found it where I did given the location.  Thanks again.