Good day at Douglas Point

Bjohn170

Got to the beach early this morning and had the place to myself with a great gravel line to search. Got a nice handful of teeth including at 2.23” damaged otodus, a 1.42” otodus, and a 1.14” croc tooth. 

94F7DB29-7AC1-44F3-8BD3-EBAB3F7020F3.jpeg

A3693680-644A-4E06-BC03-8A27CD85AF53.jpeg

EE472D62-0987-48A7-B69A-E0BE640D7A5F.jpeg

BF898F1A-DFEC-49A4-BB55-47ED45D1484F.jpeg

• Enjoyed 5

Very nice! Brings back happy memories of a roadtrip that included a day of hunting in Maryland.

Cheers.

-Ken

39 minutes ago, digit said:

Very nice! Brings back happy memories of a roadtrip that included a day of hunting in Maryland.

Cheers.

-Ken

Lucky me only a hour an a half away

I have a fossil shark tooth creek in my backyard--about 90 seconds away. :P

Of course, I measure my shark teeth in mm or cm instead of inches. :)

Cheers.

-Ken

• Enjoyed 2

38 minutes ago, digit said:

I have a fossil shark tooth creek in my backyard--about 90 seconds away. :P

Of course, I measure my shark teeth in mm or cm instead of inches. :)

Cheers.

-Ken

:envy:

I'm 2 and a half hours from the fossil hunting beaches in Maryland.  My kids and I would start growing gills and webbing between our fingers if we had a productive fossil creek in our backyard. :default_rofl:

• I Agree 1

7 hours ago, Bjohn170 said:

Got to the beach early this morning and had the place to myself with a great gravel line to search. Got a nice handful of teeth including at 2.23” damaged otodus, a 1.42” otodus, and a 1.14” croc tooth. 

Nice finds.  It been a while since I've been down to Douglas point.  Did you take home any gravel to do a microfossil search later?  Next time we go I'm going to grab a couple of gallons to test my luck.

41 minutes ago, Adam86cucv said:

My kids and I would start growing gills and webbing between our fingers if we had a productive fossil creek in our backyard.

At the risk of turning your kids amphibious, you all are welcome to screen for small shark/ray teeth if you ever find yourself passing through Gainesville, FL. (We've got a really nice little paleontology museum to boot!)

Cheers.

-Ken

40 minutes ago, digit said:

At the risk of turning your kids amphibious, you all are welcome to screen for small shark/ray teeth if you ever find yourself passing through Gainesville, FL. (We've got a really nice little paleontology museum to boot!)

Cheers.

-Ken

Hmmm a slight detour on the next trip to Orlando sounds good.  We do love museums!

9 hours ago, Bjohn170 said:

Got a nice handful of teeth including at 2.23” damaged otodus, a 1.42” otodus, and a 1.14” croc tooth. 

Those are all nice finds from there!  I was thinking of going to Douglas Pt myself today, but had to work. Glad you got to go. Congrats!

• Thank You 1

8 hours ago, Adam86cucv said:

Nice finds.  It been a while since I've been down to Douglas point.  Did you take home any gravel to do a microfossil search later?  Next time we go I'm going to grab a couple of gallons to test my luck.

No I always debate bring a 5gal bucket to fill but that would be a pain to walk back to the truck, maybe if I kayaked in

47 minutes ago, Bjohn170 said:

No I always debate bring a 5gal bucket to fill but that would be a pain to walk back to the truck, maybe if I kayaked in

I figured a couple ziplock gallon freezer bags in a backpack would be easier than a 5 gallon bucket...carried enough of them as a kid doing farm chores to know that the handles aren't fun to carry with weight for any long distance.  I do think it would be fun to kayak from Mallows bay down and back.  

This is the way I've backpacked out matrix when it is a long way back to the car. I can remember one hunting trip when I filled a large backpack full of Mazon Creek concretions--man, my shoulders ached by the time I made the 1.5 miles back to the car. :oO: If the trip back is not all that long and you do wish to take buckets, I'd suggest adding some foam padding to the handles--the standard handles on 5-gallon buckets are not meant for marathon distances. I (actually, my back) recommends bringing 2 buckets and splitting the load between them for balance.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 2