TUrban

Hello, I recently acquired a small box of fossils from someone who had passed away recently. Inside were many fossils including those pictured. The only indicator of where they are from is that the box says "MONTANA". I can tell there are dromeosaur teeth, hadrosaur teeth, ankylosaur teeth and such. I know the man I got them from would routinely dig in the hell creek formation but I just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything obvious that I'm missing that would indicate that these fossils were collected elsewhere. My guess is that they are from the hell creek formation however.

Any feedback is appreciated!!

thumbnail_20211202_173446.jpg

thumbnail_20211202_173456.jpg

thumbnail_20211202_173508.jpg

thumbnail_20211202_173531.jpg

thumbnail_20211202_173606.jpg

thumbnail_20211202_173620.jpg

thumbnail_20211202_173636.jpg

thumbnail_20211202_173651.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

Montana has a number of late cretaceous formations that this box of fossils can come from.  Hell Creek is just one and the preservation says its not a slam dunk they are from there.  So without a firm location you will not be able to ID them to a genus or species.

The top specimen is turtle.

The claw tips, the larger one is from a Theropod.  Hard to say on the other.

Need closer images, sharper and both sides on the theropod teeth and herbivore ones.

The vert is from an small amiid fish

The next group are hadrosaur spitters and without a positive locality thats all you can say.

Bone is indeterminate 

Last batch of teeth need closer images

• I Agree 1

I agree with TyBoy on the ID's and without having a locality its pretty hard to put a positive ID on them.  I can try to see if the teeth are Dromaeosaurid but would need photos of both sides, base and a close up of the mesial carina on each tooth for starters, may need a serration count.  Also crown height on each. 

On the herbivore teeth need closer images of each both sides and height of each

The last group of teeth the center and right look like croc.  Need a better photo on the one on the left.

9 minutes ago, Troodon said:

I agree with TyBoy on the ID's and without having a locality its pretty hard to put a positive ID on them.  I can try to see if the teeth are Dromaeosaurid but would need photos of both sides, base and a close up of the mesial carina on each tooth for starters, may need a serration count.  Also crown height on each. 

On the herbivore teeth need closer images of each both sides and height of each

The last group of teeth the center and right look like croc.  Need a better photo on the one on the left.

20 minutes ago, TyBoy said:

Montana has a number of late cretaceous formations that this box of fossils can come from.  Hell Creek is just one and the preservation says its not a slam dunk they are from there.  So without a firm location you will not be able to ID them to a genus or species.

The top specimen is turtle.

The claw tips, the larger one is from a Theropod.  Hard to say on the other.

Need closer images, sharper and both sides on the theropod teeth and herbivore ones.

The vert is from an small amiid fish

The next group are hadrosaur spitters and without a positive locality thats all you can say.

Bone is indeterminate 

Last batch of teeth need closer images

Ok thanks. I will post better pics and different angles tomorrow! Thanks for the help.