Prepping a Green River Mioplosus

hadrosauridae

Welcome to another Fossil Friday!

My video today is my first time prepping a fish from the Green River formation, 18-inch layer. This fossil was from recovered from outside of Kemmerer, WY by a friend, @Ptychodus04

• Enjoyed 6

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

Great video and prep! This is actually from the Bottom Cap, not the 18" Layer. This is why the rock was so stinking hard! :P

One thing I would recommend, get a respirator, or at least an N95 mask when you prep outside your blast cabinet. You don't want to be breathing the rock dust; it will kill you over time. Thanks for the tag in your video as well. :thumbsu:

• Thank You 1

58 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Great video and prep! This is actually from the Bottom Cap, not the 18" Layer. This is why the rock was so stinking hard! :P

One thing I would recommend, get a respirator, or at least an N95 mask when you prep outside your blast cabinet. You don't want to be breathing the rock dust; it will kill you over time. Thanks for the tag in your video as well. :thumbsu:

dang it, I hate when I screw up details about a fossil or its location.  My dolomite arrived today, so hopefully tomorrow I can sift it and start prepping with it.  Should work faster on this than the soda.

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

1 hour ago, Pixpaleosky said:

Hi, How did you fill the gaps in the fish body ?

I havent.  They dont really show up so I havent worried about messing with it.  If I were to attempt it, I would probably crush/grind/sift some of the matrix bits, mix with glue, fill the crack and texture it, then mix a paint to match the color / sheen of the fish and paint the fill.

But since I have no practice doing that, I'd likely make it look even worse.  I plan to practice it in the future on some broken fish I have laying around.

• Thank You 1

7 hours ago, hadrosauridae said:

dang it, I hate when I screw up details about a fossil or its location.  My dolomite arrived today, so hopefully tomorrow I can sift it and start prepping with it.  Should work faster on this than the soda.

There’s also a chance that I didn’t tell you it was Bottom Cap so as not to scare you off prepping fish. :default_rofl: If you can master BC, 18” stuff is like butter. The only problem is that the fins are a lot softer.

Dolomite should work well on this harder material. I wouldn’t use it on 18” material though.

Awesome video! Loved the music too. It’s not everyday that I get to rock out while watching a prep video. :CoolDance:

• Thank You 1

3 minutes ago, thelivingdead531 said:

Awesome video! Loved the music too. It’s not everyday that I get to rock out while watching a prep video. :CoolDance:

Glad you like it, I hesitated on using that one.  Its far different from my usual background music, but I thought the tempo played well with the sped up timing of the video.

• I Agree 1

2 minutes ago, hadrosauridae said:

Glad you like it, I hesitated on using that one.  Its far different from my usual background music, but I thought the tempo played well with the sped up timing of the video.

I think it was a good choice, it seemed to fit quite well with the video. :thumbsu:

• Thank You 1