1/3rd Saltasaurus Egg

Billy LoBue

I recently purchased a 1/3rd opened Saltasaurus egg from online.

[prices redacted]

It looks pretty good.. read one of the pinned posts, it has pores. No separated cracks to compare pore alignment with though.

If anyone can provide some insights, that's greatly appreciated. I'll post pictures below. 

Best regards and happy holidays!

IMG_4327.jpg  IMG_4325.jpg

IMG_4326.jpg  IMG_4324.jpg

IMG_4323.jpg

IMG_4334.jpg

IMG_4333.jpg

You will need to upload the images in jpg format as the forum cannot display images in the heic format.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

28 minutes ago, Kane said:

You will need to upload the images in jpg format as the forum cannot display images in the heic format.

Thank you. I have attached an Imgur link.

16 minutes ago, Billy LoBue said:

Thank you. I have attached an Imgur link.

Imgur links go bad, and leave topics useless.

Some people also don't want to leave the forum. It is always best to upload directly to the Forum, in .jpg or .png format.

HEIC to JPG

• I Agree 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Very cool piece, but not a dinosaur egg. Egg shell is too thick and wrong texture. Also the size of the egg is too large. Looks like some sort of opened geode.

• I Agree 6

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Saltasaurus eggs can have crystals form inside and look like a geode.  Size looks plausable.  Can you estimate the diameter.   This looks like the original eggshell can you provide a sharp image so I can see detail in the attached photo. 

Saltasaurus eggs are found in Argentina and are 7 inches in diameter

@HamptonsDoc

IMG_4326.jpg.888540e536953a66434106b4560750e3.thumb.jpg.418e1816bbdcadd01ba10561ca958deb.jpg

• I found this Informative 5
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 2

The egg is 7 inches and it did say it was from Argentina. 

I have attached additional photos.

I will convert the other photos to JPG and attach.

Thank you!

@HamptonsDoc

7 inches. It was from Argentina. 

IMG_4329.jpg

IMG_4328.jpg

1 hour ago, Top Trilo said:

Very cool piece, but not a dinosaur egg. Egg shell is too thick and wrong texture. Also the size of the egg is too large. Looks like some sort of opened geode.

Are you 100% sure too thick?

I've attached additional photos that may show the thickness of the shell more clearly. Looks like thin shell and then embryo. 

IMG_4331.jpg

IMG_4330.jpg

14 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Saltasaurus eggs can have crystals form inside and look like a geode.  Size looks plausable.  Can you estimate the diameter.   This looks like the original eggshell can you provide a sharp image so I can see detail in the attached photo. 

@HamptonsDoc

IMG_4326.jpg.888540e536953a66434106b4560750e3.thumb.jpg.418e1816bbdcadd01ba10561ca958deb.jpg

Additional images:

IMG_4334.jpg

IMG_4333.jpg

The only images that are important are those showing the eggshell.  Looks good, what type of info are you looking for?

9 minutes ago, Troodon said:

The only images that are important are those showing the eggshell.  Looks good, what type of info are you looking for?

Just looking for expert opinion to make sure we're in the clear.

Thank you so much! I appreciate it very much. I'm so happy!

• Enjoyed 1

LOL!!
I immediately clicked "Agree" to @Top Trilo´s post, just to learn from @Troodon, that it is a real egg :BigSmile:.

Never thought, this could be an egg!

Why isn´t there any sediment inside, just "solution-precipitated" stuff? No cracks in the shell, did these eggs had a "leathery" shell?

"Fascinating!" ;)

Franz Bernhard

Edited by FranzBernhard
  • I Agree 2

I might be trippin’ but I swear I have seen some images before of dinosaur eggs with crystals inside as well, giving the appearance of geodes… 

Edit: did a quick google search and realised those images were also from the forum with @Troodon also replying that there are crystalised fossil eggs that have been found lol. 

Edited by carch_23
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

Wow, very interesting, I had not known about this before. Thanks Frank, for teaching me something new.

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Yes, indeed, eggs with crystallized part inside are not that uncommon in Ganzhou, Jiangxi of China.  And there are different coloured one, most are clear cystals but I have seen purple ones too.

Calcite crystalization is not uncommon in fossilization process, but I have my doubts about purple amethyst crystals in fossils. You have to consider how fossil was formed and for purple crystals like amethyst I would assume you need high pressure and temperatures involved? In case of Argentina we are looking at silica that replaced the calcite in the eggs.

And there are different coloured one, most are clear cystals but I have seen purple ones too.

From China I saw "many" calcite crystals eggs too, but also a few with amethyst like crystals (purple crystals) - however keeping how crystals form in mind, i'm still not sure if those purple were colored or real or if geodes. 

Edited by aeon.rocks

As a lover of fossils and minerals I can only say wow!

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

Sorry I’m late to the party- this is an agatized Saltasaurus egg. Saltasaurus eggs are exceptionally rare on the open market as you are not able

to remove them from Argentina. When they do show up, it is not uncommon for them to be agatized. I have seen pieces of eggs like yours and complete eggs that are now agate. Congratulations on finding a cool piece of the holy grail of any egg enthusiasts collection! As Troodon mentioned above, 7” diameter is what is expected for one of these. 

Find yourself a copy of “walking on eggs” by Chiappe for a quick and very interesting read on titanosaur nesting sites in Patagonia. He describes fields are far as the eye can see full of fragmented titanosaur eggs. 

On 12/7/2021 at 4:21 PM, aeon.rocks said:

I have my doubts about purple amethyst crystals in fossils

Possible at least in some fossils. Here are Permian brachiopods with amethyst filling, Kostroma, Russia

159856149280873-big.jpg

159846616809650-big.jpg

• Enjoyed 2