Proboscidean milk tooth

Shellseeker

At a location, where there is a possibility of finding Miocene fossils, I found this fossil molar. Initially, we considered whether or not it was a Bear_dog molar, but as we left for home, I brought up the possibility of Gomphothere.

Prior to sending it to Richard Hulbert for identification,  I had searched the internet and believed it looked somewhat like the few examples of Gomphothere milk teeth I could find, including one from the Montbrook site. I note that this tooth at 22 mm APL is at least 30% smaller than any tooth I found for comparison.

Richard confirmed that the tooth is Proboscidean, either Mastodon or Gomphothere,  but stated that a determination could not be made based on a single tooth. I am ok with the label.  A mastodon milk tooth at 22 mm is rare, a Gomphothere milk tooth at 22 mm is very rare.

One of those once in a lifetime finds that I am pleased to share with my friends on TFF.   Jack

IMG_3182cep.jpg.d902b8511dc112841167cadabdcd3678.jpg

paint3.JPG.42a4644d1b128ec5d140969f1bf04814.JPGpaint2.JPG.c9feaa37190d25509dd66178062731c5.JPGpaint.JPG.75fbfec2ac28edc2819b5b220b360b91.JPG

• I found this Informative 3
  • Enjoyed 9

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

11 hours ago, garyc said:

Very cool tooth. It looks unused….maybe from an embryo?

Almost certainly, but I do not know enough about the process of tooth creation versus birth.  In humans, even our baby teeth erupt after birth,  usually many months after birth. I suppose modern elephant would be an interesting comparison.

See the photo below:  Roots being created from the outside - in, and the roots are not yet completed when the animal dies. So, when do Gomphothere/Mastodon incomplete rooted teeth exist compared to birth. Definitely above my pay grade. :headscratch:

10 hours ago, Nimravis said:

Great find Jack, congrats. Hope to see it in the December VFOM listing.

I'll consider it.  I likely should have submitted this find from a year ago,  but like now, I just was not positive of the Gomphothere identification.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/112287-bonevalleytooth/

Roots2.jpg.a194373882a6fbfd8c22471b3bca9bf8.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"