dolomite media prepping question

hadrosauridae

OK, I have a question for the learned members of the forum.  I finally got some dolomite powder for my blaster (absolutely love it so far!!) and put in a few hours of using it last night, and it raised this question:  Do I need to bake my dolomite to dry it before using (or storing)?

I have read that dolomite is hydroscopic, and I have noticed this brand new powder has a strong tendency to "bridge" in my media canister. I also had several instances where it seems like a clump of it would exploded on the fossil being prepped.  I'm not getting blocked, its not plugging the line or the stylus, so I was wondering if its just trying to stick together into a fluid "clump" as its moving through the line and then exits as a massive hit.

I've also noticed how much dolomite loves to stick to EVERYTHING.  The inside of my blast box was completely white, even though I have a good air system.  This also makes me think it may not drop out in my cyclone as completely as soda, so I may have to add a water trap to keep my vac from cratering. 

But I digress.... any thoughts on baking the powder?  Side question, should I put silica gel in the storage bucket also?

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

• hadrosauridae changed the title to dolomite media prepping question

I've always had to bake my powder before using and storing it. I haven't had to store it with silica gel myself but I store it in canning jars after baking.

• Thank You 1

3 hours ago, Thomas.Dodson said:

I've always had to bake my powder before using and storing it. I haven't had to store it with silica gel myself but I store it in canning jars after baking.

Thank you.  Can you recommend a temp and time that should be sufficient?  I'm used to drying silica gel, but I can visibly see the change when its dry again.

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

3 minutes ago, hadrosauridae said:

Thank you.  Can you recommend a temp and time that should be sufficient?  I'm used to drying silica gel, but I can visibly see the change when its dry again.

Spread on a cookie sheet and bake at 250 F for about half an hour. That should remove any residual moisture. Store and seal shortly after taking it out of the oven. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

16 minutes ago, hadrosauridae said:

I do the same as Kane and bake at 250 F for 30 minutes or so.

49 minutes ago, Kane said:

Spread on a cookie sheet and bake at 250 F for about half an hour. That should remove any residual moisture. Store and seal shortly after taking it out of the oven. 

35 minutes ago, Thomas.Dodson said:

I do the same as Kane and bake at 250 F for 30 minutes or so.

Thank you both!

That doesn’t sound like much fun to use at all. :default_rofl: I almost bought some before I switched over to iron powder. I’m glad I didn’t do it. The baking soda was hard enough to clean out of my system.

Yes, dolomite sticks to everything inside the work chamber.  And it can be cloudy to look through, but it is worth it when you need it.  

I have dried dolomite in the past, but the climate here is dry enough that I rarely have to.  And store it with silica gel in a small ziplock with pinpricks in it.  I have an old toaster oven in the lab for the drying.  Let the powder cool off before you put a ziplock in with it.  

• Thank You 1

1 hour ago, Ptychodus04 said:

That doesn’t sound like much fun to use at all. :default_rofl: I almost bought some before I switched over to iron powder. I’m glad I didn’t do it. The baking soda was hard enough to clean out of my system.

Well, I think its fun to watch the limestone matrix melt away when the bicarb wouldnt touch it.  I'm about ready to hit that bottom-cap mio with it (fingers crossed).  One of these days I'll move up to something like iron powder, maybe I'll also have a professional unit like a comco then too.  And Santa will bring me an articulating boom arm microscope. Hey, I gotta dream, right?

32 minutes ago, jpc said:

Yes, dolomite sticks to everything inside the work chamber.  And it can be cloudy to look through, but it is worth it when you need it.  

I have dried dolomite in the past, but the climate here is dry enough that I rarely have to.  And store it with silica gel in a small ziplock with pinpricks in it.  I have an old toaster oven in the lab for the drying.  Let the powder cool off before you put a ziplock in with it.  

We can often hit 99% humidity overnight here, so it will probably be best for me to dry it and put some silica in the storage container too.

5 hours ago, hadrosauridae said:

Well, I think its fun to watch the limestone matrix melt away when the bicarb wouldnt touch it.  I'm about ready to hit that bottom-cap mio with it (fingers crossed).  One of these days I'll move up to something like iron powder, maybe I'll also have a professional unit like a comco then too.  And Santa will bring me an articulating boom arm microscope. Hey, I gotta dream, right?

A boy’s gotta dream. Santa usually brings me clothes… sometimes ammo, but never prep equipment. :default_rofl: 

It is fun to watch a stubborn bit of matrix go bye bye. Very satisfying.