Is this a fossil?

Lucia0505

Hi, i agree with Randy, sorry.

• I Agree 1

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Well thank you! I’m actually relieved as I would be a little horrified if it was a bone. An interesting shape for a a plain old rock! Thank you both. 

2 hours ago, Lucia0505 said:

An interesting shape for a a plain old rock!

I can understand your husband! Maybe you have already heard about it, its called

Pareidolia (link to wikipedia)

The human brain is especially good in recognizing faces (including emotional state), where there aren´t any.

Franz Bernhard

That is super interesting… we are artists and his mind is extremely perceptive of shapes and form. Amazing! Thanks for sending me that! 

1 hour ago, Lucia0505 said:

Thanks for sending me that! 

You are welcome!

1 hour ago, Lucia0505 said:

his mind is extremely perceptive of shapes and form.

That´ good for fossil hunting, too ;). And every other form of "hunting" and "collecting" in the field, e.g. artifacts etc.

Franz Bernhard

6 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

You are welcome!

That´ good for fossil hunting, too ;). And every other form of "hunting" and "collecting" in the field, e.g. artifacts etc.

Franz Bernhard

Pattern recognition is indeed an important skill for fossil hunters. I note that Spencer G. Lucas, curator of paleontology at the New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science, is a former New Mexico chess champion. The pattern recognition skills required to spot a combination on a chessboard are not unlike those required to spot a fossil in the field.

(Alas, my own pattern recognition skills are unremarkable, and I'm a pretty poor chess player in spite of being a moderately intelligent guy.)

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

8 minutes ago, kgbudge said:

my own pattern recognition skills are unremarkable

Mine also, generally speaking.

But at the moment, I am used to spot parallel, straight lines as can be found on the outer shell of rudists. Sometimes, I am wondering, how did I see that tiny spot (belonging to a rudist) from that distance. Well, sometimes, its just a layered rock ... But quite not that often.

Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

5 hours ago, kgbudge said:

Pattern recognition is indeed an important skill for fossil hunters. I note that Spencer G. Lucas, curator of paleontology at the New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science, is a former New Mexico chess champion. The pattern recognition skills required to spot a combination on a chessboard are not unlike those required to spot a fossil in the field.

(Alas, my own pattern recognition skills are unremarkable, and I'm a pretty poor chess player in spite of being a moderately intelligent guy.)

I undetstabd you.:commiserate:

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg