Deinonychus tooth?

carch_23

Hey was wondering what you guys think of this “Deinonychus” tooth? Info provided was Cloverly Formation, Montana, Cretaceous 105 myo. Those are also only the 2 photos available at the moment. Just looking at it now, one side of the tooth (nit the side with the bigger serrations) look quite worn. But i think i can make out some bumps in the first pic? So if they are serrations, the side with the more prominent serrations does look a lot larger? Thanks!

ACC8395E-E8A5-40D2-8653-DF101686597F.jpeg

C4A1585B-FD54-470F-BC73-0A9AFE9F5804.jpeg

Edited by carch_23

Do you know where in Montana? Lots of different Cretaceous sites in Montana and only a little bit of cloverly formation is found in Montana.

Edited by Runner64
  • I found this Informative 1

Unfortunately that is the only info provided under the description. I'll try ask. Would it be more difficult to confirm ID if that was the only info available to us?

IMO the preservation does not look like it came from the Cloverly Formation . look more like others formation in montana . But i could be wrong but Just be careful mate.

Regard

Guns

A key bit of information needed to ID a theropod tooth is locality so need city/county if you can get it.  I say that because sellers often get the formation wrong..  What size is the tooth?  If you can get that locality info we can then explore other characteristics to see if it can be ID.  No reason to proceed without it.  Off hand it does not look like a Dromaeosaurid.

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

A key bit of information needed to ID a theropod tooth is locality so need city/county if you can get it.  I say that because sellers often get the formation wrong..  What size is the tooth?  If you can get that locality info we can then explore other characteristics to see if it can be ID.  No reason to proceed without it.  Off hand it does not look like a Dromaeosaurid.

Hmmmm. I will try then and will get back to you guys. Its 5/8 inch. 

Update: As I was typing this, the tooth sold lol. Thanks anyways. Not meant for me I guess :Confused05:

Edited by carch_23

1 minute ago, carch_23 said:

Hmmmm. I will try then and will get back to you guys. Its 5/8 inch. 

Update: As I was typing this, the tooth sold lol. Thanks anyways. Not for me I guess :Confused05:

Probably fortunate, the color looks more like Hell Creek

43 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Probably fortunate, the color looks more like Hell Creek

Thanks @Troodon. Ill take those as words of consolation