Remove glue from trilobites

Nipponites

Hello,

I have recently acquired three calymenes from Morocco, one of them was broken (or composited), and glued. To hide the glue, it was covered with mud, and after removing the glue I discovered an awful white glue.

I tried to dissolve the glue by leaving the fossil in acetone for a whole day, then I left the it in alcohol for another whole day, and nothing happened.

I finally soaked it in hot water but another time nothing happened.

Does anyone know how to remove it?

1638896038065.thumb.jpg.d476ba2d929d9487171d98db0cf8ded6.jpg1638896038061.thumb.jpg.05382e3a2c80c8de2d6176c6a1cc9731.jpg1638896038059.thumb.jpg.ea0632ccee84a006e2dcd785943532eb.jpg

Thanks!

21 minutes ago, Nipponites said:

I tried to dissolve the glue by leaving the fossil in acetone for a whole day, then I left the it in alcohol for another whole day, and nothing happened.

I finally soaked it in hot water but another time nothing happened.

Does anyone know how to remove it?

If all that didn't work, then I wouldn't try any more chemicals, since the calcitic fossil would probably end up getting corroded. I think you're gonna have to do it mechanically and then fill in and color the occurring crevices. There also appears to be something very wrong with the cephalon.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

you could try softening the glue with a dab of acetone. Don't soak it, or your trilobites might fall apart. Just dab it on with a cotton swab. This might soften it enough to mechanically remove the extra glue enough to fill the gaps.

One option you didn't exercise is heat.  Common, polymerized polyvinyl acetate (white glue) will soften when heated, and may be picked away with a needle or a dental pick, or excised with an X-Acto knife or scalpel.

• I found this Informative 1

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Strange, I actually know very few adhesives that are not dissolved or at least softened by acetone. 
I can only think of strongly cross-linked reaction adhesives such as epoxies. 
I would try again with a non-polar solvent like gasoline or xylene (cellulose thinner). Probably won't work either.

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).