Theropod Tooth Identification

Joseph Kapler

Can anyone help with a Family-level identification of this tooth?  The tooth is from the Kem-Kem beds of Morocco.

Identification4.jpg

Identification5.jpg

Identification1.jpg

Identification2.jpg

Identification3.jpg

Hi, nice tooth!

I think it's a juvenile Carcharodontosaurus, but you should wait for one of the more experienced guys to confirm. It might be Abelisaur, but it looks to thick to be that to me.

• Thank You 1

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Theropod Tooth Identification

Beautiful tooth.   We have very little published on teeth from the Kem Kem Group and in my opinion, there is not one we can identify to a family level.  I'm going to call this tooth an indeterminate theropod.  I compared it to the little I've seen published on Carcharodontosaurid's since it has the general appearance of one but there are features that make me hesitate to call it one.   The characteristic that concerns me the most is that the mesial carina does not extend to the base, I also see no undulations, no blood grooves and a serration density less than 1.  There are other issues so I'm not seeing enough to definitively call it a Carcharodontosaurid.   In the future if you post additional teeth can you use a meteric scale since thats the accepted measurement in journals that we use to us ID material

• Thank You 1