Hell Creek Theropod tooth id help once more.

jikohr

Hi everyone!

I've got one more tiny hell creek tooth that I need help on. I didn't even think there was any mystery to it until I took a really close look at it. I acquired it as part of a set of Paronychodon teeth which are pretty distinctive looking and at first glance I though that's what this was since it's a small theropod tooth with the prominent lines going up the side (I forget what they're called) and with really nice serrations and wait..... Paronychodon doesn't have serrations. At least I don't think it does. I looked around to see if there have been any documented serrated Paronychodon teeth and the only place I found that said it had serrations also claimed that Paronychodon is three feet long and ninety feet tall so I don't think I can rely on that site.

My money is on Acheroraptor at the moment but I'm terrible at identifying Dromaeosaur material so I'd like a second opinion.

Tooth is 1 cm long straight line measurement.

raptor 10.jpg

raptor 11.jpg

raptor 6.jpg

raptor 9.jpg

raptor 8.jpg

raptor 7.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

This morphology has yet to be described from the Hell Creek formation.   A paper from P. Currie & D. Evans 2018 described this morph, in the Dinosaur Park Formation, as a Pre-maxillary tooth of the Dromaeosaurid Saurornitholestes.   In my discussions with D. Evans he believes there is a very good chance that in the HC it might be associated with Acheroraptor.  Unfortunately, there are no discoveries that can support that claim other than the association with Saurornitholestes.   If you are planning on selling this tooth like the other its best described as a pre-maxillary tooth of a Dromaeosaurid.  

• I found this Informative 3

4 hours ago, Troodon said:

This morphology has yet to be described from the Hell Creek formation.   A paper from P. Curri & D. Evans 2018 described this morph, in the Dinosaur Park Formation, as a Pre-maxillary tooth of the Dromaeosaurid Saurornitholestes.   In my discussions with D. Evans he believes there is a very good chance that in the HC it might be associated with Acheroraptor.  Unfortunately, there are no discoveries that can support that claim other than the association with saurornitholestes.   If you are planning on selling this tooth like the other its best described as a pre-maxillary tooth of a Dromaeosaurid.  

Wait, really? I mean, if it's significant in some way is there someone I should send these pics to?

3 hours ago, jikohr said:

Wait, really? I mean, if it's significant in some way is there someone I should send these pics to?

ID can be a bit different if you are keeping it yourself.   It's an indet Dromaeosaurid since it cannot be proved otherwise.  But if you are keeping and you know what's going on you can call it Acheroraptor.

• I found this Informative 1

3 hours ago, Troodon said:

ID can be a bit different if you are keeping it yourself.   It's an indet Dromaeosaurid since it cannot be proved otherwise.  But if you are keeping and you know what's going on you can call it Acheroraptor.

Fair enough. I'm gonna sleep on this one.

Thanks again!