Florida Vertebrae id help

jikohr

Hi everyone!

I just acquired some fossils from Florida and could use some help identifying these two vertebrae. The first I believe is thoracic and the second is an atlas, but I'm not sure what animal they're from. Cetacean was the first thing that came to mind but I all the pictures I've been finding are different looking especially the pictures of whale atlas vertebrae so I could really use another opinion.

IMG_9304.JPG

IMG_9305.JPG

IMG_9306.JPG

IMG_9307.JPG

IMG_9308.JPG

IMG_9309.JPG

IMG_9310.JPG

IMG_9311.JPG

IMG_9312.JPG

IMG_9313.JPG

IMG_9314.JPG

IMG_9315.JPG

IMG_9316.JPG

IMG_9317.JPG

• Enjoyed 1

Hi,

the first one is cetacean, the second seems to be rather a skull base than an atlas vertebra.

Maybe @Boesse can tell you more.

Best Regards,

J

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

1 hour ago, Mahnmut said:

Hi,

the first one is cetacean, the second seems to be rather a skull base than an atlas vertebra.

Best Regards,

J

I am not an expert: Mahnmut has notified Bobby who is.... the director at the Mace_Brown Museum in South Carolina.

https://blogs.cofc.edu/macebrownmuseum/2016/12/02/friday-fossil-feature-fintastic-surfprises-from-lee-cones-whale/

I am going to go with Cervical for the 1st, and Axis on the 2nd.  Both Whale, Very likely land finds

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

9 hours ago, Mahnmut said:

Hi,

Best Regards,

J

8 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

I am not an expert: Mahnmut has notified Bobby who is.... the director at the Mace_Brown Museum in South Carolina.

https://blogs.cofc.edu/macebrownmuseum/2016/12/02/friday-fossil-feature-fintastic-surfprises-from-lee-cones-whale/

I am going to go with Cervical for the 1st, and Axis on the 2nd.  Both Whale, Very likely land finds

Thank you for the input, I was thinking whale at first also on the thoracic but here is my hangup.

The vertebrae on the left is the one pictured above, to the right is a thoracic vertebrae from Stegodon and elephant. The V shape disk and boney nub at the bottom really stook out to me. The nub in particular because it isn't a line of bone from back to front but a noticeable bump in the middle.

IMG_9359.JPG

IMG_9358.JPG

The second specimen is indeed the "occiput" part of the skull of a baleen whale - the occipital condyles plus parts of the exoccipitals and basioccipital. Essentially, the back wall and floor of the braincase.

• I found this Informative 3

3 minutes ago, Boesse said:

The second specimen is indeed the "occiput" part of the skull of a baleen whale - the occipital condyles plus parts of the exoccipitals and basioccipital. Essentially, the back wall and floor of the braincase.

Thanks!

Any thoughts on the other one?

15 hours ago, jikohr said:

Thank you for the input, I was thinking whale at first also on the thoracic but here is my hangup.

The vertebrae on the left is the one pictured above, to the right is a thoracic vertebrae from Stegodon and elephant. The V shape disk and boney nub at the bottom really stook out to me. The nub in particular because it isn't a line of bone from back to front but a noticeable bump in the middle.

Ok, I did confidently say the first one is cetacean, but now my confidence is shaken, I did not realize that proboscidean vertebrae look like this.

So hopefully someone can ID it for you!

J

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

On 12/9/2021 at 5:56 PM, jikohr said:

Thanks!

Any thoughts on the other one?

Have you considered Dugong/Manatee? Also, I have heard that Armadillo has heart shaped vertebra.

http://www.findingrocks.com/media_uploads/archive/202005/20200520163140_220.jpg

Armadillo...

EXTINCT ARMADILLO VERTEBRA DASYPUS BELLUS FLORIDA FOSSILS ...

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

1 hour ago, Shellseeker said:

Have you considered Dugong/Manatee? Also, I have heard that Armadillo has heart shaped vertebra.

http://www.findingrocks.com/media_uploads/archive/202005/20200520163140_220.jpg

Armadillo...

EXTINCT ARMADILLO VERTEBRA DASYPUS BELLUS FLORIDA FOSSILS ...

The heart shape is much more subtle on this one compared to manatee (at least in the pics I've seen). If it's armadillo it would have to be a HUGE armadillo, also again the heart shape is much more subtle. 

10 hours ago, Bone Daddy said:

That first vert looks similar to Ground Sloth.

I did find a couple vertebrae almost identical to this one (including the nub at the bottom and the shape of the disk) on online that are claimed to be ground sloth but I've also seen a river rock that was claimed to be a dinosaur embryo there.

Do you have any pics of ground sloth vertebrae to compare to?

I found this one several years back and some of the members here said it was ground sloth, so I just went with that. 

Your specimen is not identical, but the texture and shape of the center portion seemed similar to me.

sloth-vert-2.jpg

sloth-vert-1.jpg