Small conical tooth and others from Post Oak creek

Lone Hunter

Various teeth from Eagle Ford, Cretaceous, I'm a long way from recognizing teeth since I don't find them often so appreciate the education.  My guess for first one would be Mako, it also looks very much like the tiny one in #3,  second one I'm not sure at all and wondering what made all the marks on it? Last group I think there's an Echnodus, and cone shaped one looks like alligator or it's just wishful thinking.  

IMG_20211208_004614573~2.jpg

IMG_20211208_081456213.jpg

IMG_20211208_082037649~2.jpg

IMG_20211208_082100302.jpg

IMG_20211208_081951853.jpg

IMG_20211208_083335597~2.jpg

IMG_20211208_200356623.jpg

IMG_20211208_084802985.jpg

IMG_20211208_084646700.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

#1 - it's tough to tell without the roots or cusps, but I suspect Cretodus - it seems as if there's the characteristic wrinkling at the base of the tooth to make that ID. Not Mako - the Eagle Ford formation is late cretaceous in age, and thus doesn't support Mako, which is much more recent (I believe all those Florida fossil hunters find their Mako in Miocene deposits). In fact - I'm not even sure Mako can be found  anywhere inland in Texas.

#2 - the last picture makes me think Enchodus is reasonable. 

#3 - not sure on ID's, but the only non -ID I can offer is that there's no alligator - they may be historically native, but their teeth are far more blunt and conical.

For a reference to post oak creek sharks, as far as my reckoning, here are the sharks you can expect to find:

Chiefly:

- Scapanorynchus

- Cretodus

- Squalicorax

- Ptychodus whipplei

Other sharks can be found less commonly I believe: I think it has the occasional Cretolamna, for example, as well as a few others, but the ones I mentioned above are the heavy hitters that most ID's would fall under

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

Thanks Jared you are definitely the Texas expert,  I don't get up that way often so not familiar with the large variety of things that aren't around here.  I did get a nice Ptychodus though. 

Edited by Lone Hunter

1. Lamniform, I would suspect maybe ginsu with the narrow, smooth crown - I think the "wrinkling" @Jared C sees is enamel cracking.

FptCretoxy.jpeg.276f4881f32a45e658c71d983bf415e7.jpeg

^http://oceansofkansas.com/ks-sharks.html

Cretodus wrinkling for comparison:

IMG_2352.jpeg.ff7f296eab5de3416bc8f0e4589fa4da.jpeg

2. Agree, Enchodus

3. I've found a handful of similar conical teeth, they're probably fish. The others in the image are shark.

Edited by ThePhysicist
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

On 12/9/2021 at 1:02 AM, Lone Hunter said:

you are definitely the Texas expert

not even close! I'm still a beginner by most means, I've only been diligently hunting for about a year now, I just get lucky sometimes haha. For sharks @ThePhysicist is certainly the guy to go to, and for texas @Uncle Siphuncle and @JohnJ are the pros in my opinion.

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg