Possible rib or antler, possibly not old enough to be interesting.

Diapsid

I found this bone/antler the other day under Whiskey Bridge near College Station, Texas. The area is known for Eocene marine fossils, but also things like mammoth, horse, and deer skeletal remains. The area has tons of modern deer too. I am reasonably confident that this piece is bone or antler, but beyond that I'm clueless. I can't tell if this is modern or 40,000 years old, and I can't tell what animal it may have come from. I can say that it is 8 grams, slightly curved, and the sides are somewhat flattened. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

For further context, this was found on the bank of the Brazos river, the area had near record rain this summer when it rained for nearly a month straight. The water has finally receded enough for people to go down to the banks. I believe animals may be able to get down here too, though the only access point for this specific area for something like a deer is from the highway, the river banks are lined by cliffs about 10-20 feet tall. This piece may have washed down from further upstream.

20211208_222658.jpg

20211208_222719.jpg

20211208_222737.jpg

20211208_222650.jpg

20211207_114231.jpg

20211207_114246.jpg

20211207_114256.jpg

Edited by Diapsid
More information on location

Everything you described fits many creeks and rivers in Texas, a mix of everything, but there are several people who know that area well and hopefully they will be more help.  I've learned deciphering bones as to fossil or not is tricky but doesn't hurt to do standard burn test for starters.

I think this is skeletal bone, rather than antler.

The age of it will be elusive. I usually call something like this old, and leave it at that. Fresh bone will smell like burned hair if you hold a lighter under it. Don't be surprised if it doesn't work on this though. Can you trust it as a fossil if it doesn't stink ? Maybe, is the best answer I think.

Hi Diapsid,

The texture reminds me of a horn core (like goat or similar), but thats hard to tell with the eroded surface.

Best regards,

J

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley