Fossil or concretion?

kodpkd

This looks like a nodule or concretion, to me.

• I Agree 4

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Probably.   But what sparked my question is the 1/6 inch outside layer, the surface texture and the shape.

Edited by kodpkd

13 minutes ago, kodpkd said:

Probably.   But what sparked my question is the 1/6 inch outside layer, the surface texture and the shape.

I believe this to be a valid indication of it's being a trace fossil. I have several examples here.

If you too could back the find with more developed structures in additional examples it would definitely strengthen the identification though.

Chert nodule in my thinking..., both. :)

• I Agree 2

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

6 hours ago, Rockwood said:

My reference. From the Trinity River, Arlington, TX. Eagle Ford Formation.

IMG_5427a.JPG

It looks that some of them are Rhizocorallium, others Thalassinoides ichnofossils, if I'm not wrong.

Edited by abyssunder
  • Thank You 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Chert nodules can develop weathering rinds, which is what I think we are seeing, particularly clear in last OP image.

• I Agree 2