Video of Lake Texoma hunt

hadrosauridae

Fossil Friday! Today's FF video post is from Lake Texoma. We made our first ever trip to lake Texoma to search the duck creek formation for ammonites. After much research and planning, we arrived to find we could not access the locations we wanted, so we ended up scouting around. It turned out well and we found some great fossils including ammonites, oysters, clams and echinoids.

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 7

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

Nice.  Been to that spot numerous times, but all the big ammonites are next shore line above where you standing at  6:27. 

Edited by Creek - Don
  • I found this Informative 1

Is the biggest sea urchin an Hemipneust ?

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

I think Macraster sp. is bigger.   This one was bit worn.  Found in Fort Worth Texas.  Measures 3.5 inches / 8.89 cm. 

image.png.ac336f1968cfe7278576aee48b1c6092.png

Edited by Creek - Don

1 hour ago, Creek - Don said:

I think Macraster sp. is bigger.   This one was bit worn.  Found in Fort Worth Texas.  Measures 3.5 inches / 8.89 cm. 

image.png.ac336f1968cfe7278576aee48b1c6092.png

I have a lot of trouble distinguishing the species.  The best factor I can see SEEMS to be that macraster are generally larger and have deep indentations in the star pattern, where the holaster are smaller and the star is not inset.  But with that said, its very confusing when trying to research. I wish I could find a guide put all the species in a line and said "this is the distinguishing aspects for this species"

• Enjoyed 1

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

6 hours ago, Creek - Don said:

Nice.  Been to that spot numerous times, but all the big ammonites are next shore line above where you standing at  6:27. 

I really want to get a small boat to visit a lot more spots that arent easily reached from land.

• Enjoyed 1

18 hours ago, hadrosauridae said:

I wish I could find a guide put all the species in a line and said "this is the distinguishing aspects for this species"

D309E6FB-FD22-47B0-9B27-225568D3D51D.thumb.jpeg.d17a66795b2cfa8c74270528523f2f46.jpeg

I won’t say it’s perfect, but it’s pretty darn good. 

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, ClearLake said:

D309E6FB-FD22-47B0-9B27-225568D3D51D.thumb.jpeg.d17a66795b2cfa8c74270528523f2f46.jpeg

I won’t say it’s perfect, but it’s pretty darn good. 

Many thanks to you!  I have bookmarked this and plan to order it very soon!

On 12/10/2021 at 12:51 PM, Creek - Don said:

I was thinking about this comment.  I'm not sure this is the beach you are thinking of.  This isnt near the dam.

5 hours ago, hadrosauridae said:

I was thinking about this comment.  I'm not sure this is the beach you are thinking of.  This isnt near the dam.

Most of the Duck Creek formation at the Lake Texoma in Texas side are located near the  Eisenhower State park,  just east of the park.  Were you at that vicinity? 

These are some of the Duck Creek formations in Texas and Oklahoma that I've been to. 

image.png.9485d15bfb9dc9694ebb872219b03a86.png

Edited by Creek - Don

2 hours ago, Creek - Don said:

Most of the Duck Creek formation at the Lake Texoma in Texas side are located near the  Eisenhower State park,  just east of the park.  Were you at that vicinity? 

These are some of the Duck Creek formations in Texas and Oklahoma that I've been to. 

image.png.9485d15bfb9dc9694ebb872219b03a86.png

Nope, not those areas.