Isle of Wight Baryonyx

Charlotte787

Hi guys,

I was considering purchasing the attached vertebra as a Christmas gift, however, I'm aware that identifying partial material down to the genus level can be tricky. I would really appreciate any opinions as to the identity of this vert, it's labelled as Baryonyx sp. indent and measures 8.9x10x10 cm collected from the Wessex Formation, Isle of Wight, England.

From my own reading around on the forum and online (see attached figure from https://www.researchgate.net/publication/285762094_A_new_specimen_of_the_theropod_dinosaur_Baryonyx_from_the_early_Cretaceous_of_Portugal_and_taxonomic_validity_of_Suchosaurus) I thought that this could be the ventral portion of a caudal vertebrae, but I'm definitely no expert so please correct me if I'm wrong!

fig 1.png

bary 4.jpg

bary 3.jpg

bary 2.jpg

bary 1.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

It does look like a vertebra.  Do you have an end view of the centrum.  How did the seller conclude its a Baryonyx versus other theropods?

Here is a better paper to use to compare against.

Charig, A. J.; Milner, A. C. (1997). "Baryonyx walkeri, a fish-eating dinosaur from the Wealden of Surrey". Bulletin of the Natural History Museum of London. 53: 11–70.

11 minutes ago, Troodon said:

It does look like a vertebra.  Do you have an end view of the centrum.  How did the seller conclude its a Baryonyx versus other theropods?

Here is a better paper to use to compare against.

Charig, A. J.; Milner, A. C. (1997). "Baryonyx walkeri, a fish-eating dinosaur from the Wealden of Surrey". Bulletin of the Natural History Museum of London. 53: 11–70.

No unfortunately there’s no images of the end view, and no indication as to how it was identified as Baryonyx. Would you say that it is a theropod vertebra? Thank you for the paper! 

this has now sold. Please contact the seller if you need more information and photos. 

This was identified due to the fluting at the end of the vertebra and was identifed as baryonyx by the friends of the dinosaur isle museum on the island. this fluting is diagnostic for baryonyx according to the museum. 

cheers for the interest

fossils-uk

• I found this Informative 1

5 minutes ago, fossils-uk said:

this has now sold. Please contact the seller if you need more information and photos. 

This was identified due to the fluting at the end of the vertebra and was identifed as baryonyx by the friends of the dinosaur isle museum on the island. this fluting is diagnostic for baryonyx according to the museum. 

cheers for the interest

fossils-uk

Hi Byron, thank you for your comment! Yes I noticed it had sold this morning and went for a stenopterygius bone plate instead, big fan of your shop as you can probably tell! lol

8 minutes ago, Charlotte787 said:

Hi Byron, thank you for your comment! Yes I noticed it had sold this morning and went for a stenopterygius bone plate instead, big fan of your shop as you can probably tell! lol

thank you soooo much charlotte. any time you need more photos etc... just get in touch :-)

• Thank You 1