Mosasaurs Jaws from Morocco Thoughts?

RobFallen

Thoughts on these please guys, quite like them but how genuine are they? also which would be the best to own if you only had space in your collection for one of them?

#1 Eremiasaurus heterodontus Size of Jaw = 13.3 cm (5.25 inches) long by 2.5 cm (1 inch) wide

#2 Halisaurus arambourgi Size of Jaw = 11.4 cm (4.5 inches) long. Teeth = 2 cm to 2.5 cm (1 inch) approximately

thanks

1.jpg

1-2.jpg

2.jpg

2-2.jpg

the top one. :-)

everyone else will probably tell you that all moroccan fossils are fake and not to buy from any dealer cos none of them know what they are doing. hahaha. 

• Enjoyed 1

I'd definitely go for the top one too. It's a really nice piece of jaw bone - not often you see them that quality - although it's hard to make out whether the teeth belong to the specimen or have been placed (you'd need photographs angled looking down from above the teeth for that). Knowing the seller, however, I'd say you can be pretty certain this is a quality piece and the teeth do indeed belong to the specimen; I don't see any red flags. However, I don't agree with the identification of the species. That is, the top specimen is actually Halisaurus arambourgi, a diminutive mosasaur that can easily be identified from it's small, recurved teeth, whereas the bottom one is a prognathodontid.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 3

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

1 hour ago, fossils-uk said:

everyone else will probably tell you that all moroccan fossils are fake and not to buy from any dealer cos none of them know what they are doing. hahaha. 

I won't. 

There are some good dealers and some excellent fossils in Morocco. 

• I Agree 3

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

2 hours ago, fossils-uk said:

This comment is not descriptive of the general knowledge expressed on the Forum.

-_-

• I Agree 4

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

2 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

There are some good dealers and some abundant excellent fossils in Morocco. 

Sorry, Adam, had to correct your statement ;).

Morocco is a fossil dream country, spanning nearly the whole Phanerozoic fossil-wise. This is what I have learned mostly from you :) here on TFF :dinothumb:.

Franz Bernhard

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

1-2.jpg

Looking closely at the first photo, I see that the teeth are well fused with the matrix, I would say that they are all in their place, and if I am wrong, they have certainly done a great job to make it look like it.   ^_^

4 hours ago, fossils-uk said:

the top one. :-)

Lol I do like the top one the best in all fairness :P now the question is to pull the trigger or not being so close to xmas :P 

15 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I won't. 

There are some good dealers and some excellent fossils in Morocco. 

Could't agree more. I really love fossil from there. Esp kem kem fossils are my favorite. 

• Thank You 1

Woo I love the top one.... 

My first thoughts on the bottom one were "those teeth don't belong there", Praefectus said what I thought.