Recommendations for good reference book on Florida's fossils?

cava.zachary

Hi, I just had my first Florida fossil hunting trip and got some really cool stuff (I am a herpetologist so I was especially excited about the turtles!). I was wondering if anyone has any book recommendations for help with learning about and identifying Florida fossils. (I can recognize the general types of fossils but would enjoy learning more and reporting everything as accurately as possible). Lastly, is there anything I should do to protect the fossils  (e.g. any kind of resin coating) or are they generally stable as is? I appreciate your help!

-Zach

www.biophiliagroup.com

www.zacharycava.net

IMG_1920.JPG

Edited by cava.zachary

Here are two that are great starter books for Florida fossils in general.  The Vertebrate one by Hubert is especially good.  There may be more focused references if you have a specific fauna, age or location in mind as Florida is a big state and has a wide variety of Cenozoic fossils.  Happy hunting!

01D958BA-D27B-4A53-8ABB-D41A7F1D1AC4.thumb.jpeg.f8dd1aecab29ee231b1ee44b81d5c7b3.jpeg1313BB04-2131-4D45-A5BF-0268F6665854.thumb.jpeg.12cc25d15de6e6c5dda24973a0ececef.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Authors Mark Renz, Dr Robert Sinibaldi, Frank Garcia plus the 2 already mentioned. You can find these at most public libraries. There is also The Neophytes Guide but the author eludes me right now.

• Thank You 1

10 hours ago, ClearLake said:

Here are two that are great starter books for Florida fossils in general.  The Vertebrate one by Hubert is especially good.  There may be more focused references if you have a specific fauna, age or location in mind as Florida is a big state and has a wide variety of Cenozoic fossils.  Happy hunting!

@ClearLake These are my suggestions as well, both beginner and advanced.

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

Nice nuchal, peripherals and costal. ;)

20 hours ago, cava.zachary said:

Lastly, is there anything I should do to protect the fossils  (e.g. any kind of resin coating) or are they generally stable as is?

Mostly, fossils from the Peace River are reasonably robust but a good consolidant (especially in lightly mineralized bones) would be Paraloid B-72. You can find this from various sources online.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraloid_B-72

Mixed with acetone the plastic chips dissolve and when bones are soaked in this solution it penetrates into any porous areas of the bone. The acetone evaporates and the resin returns to solid state from liquid.

Cheers.

-Ken

• Thank You 1

21 hours ago, cava.zachary said:

Lastly, is there anything I should do to protect the fossils  (e.g. any kind of resin coating) or are they generally stable as is? I appreciate your help!

Read about preparing (consolidating) vertebrate fossils here:  http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/profile/42-harry-pristis/&tab=field_core_pfield_11

• Thank You 1

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

On 12/16/2021 at 12:11 PM, Nimravis said:

Late to the party... Traveling to Connecticut.... I agree with the experts. Brown, Hulbert, and Kocsis, plus Harry's links on preservation of fossils !!!  Good threads

• Thank You 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"