Shell of some sort

fuzzybaseball58

So I found this rather large specimen embedded in rock near the cliffs of half moon bay on redondo beach, California. Found amongst barnacle scallop and clam fossils as well. I’m thinking ammonite or nautilus, or something of the like.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

I must agree with Al Dente. I could already see from the photo that this must be a group of bivalves, although they are actually snails and have just learned what they are. There would be no ammonites to be found at that location, since the sediment is of Miocene age, a period long after which ammonites had become extinct.

• I found this Informative 3

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Hi,

these stacks are really interesting, the individual snails change from male to female when growing, so normally the biggest one(s) at the bottom of the stack are female while the smaller ones are male. A stack may loose its oldest female from the bottom while the next male in the row turns its "gender".

Never seen them as fossils, here in europe they are neozoa imported from the american atlantic coasts together with oysters in the 19th century.

Best Regards,

J

Edited by Mahnmut
grammar
  • I found this Informative 3

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley