What Are People’s Best Fossil Bone Finds from Aurora Fossil Museum in North Carolina?

fossil_lover_2277

I posted this originally in the “questions and answers” forum, but I think it fits better under fossil hunting trips since it discusses finds:

What are some of the best fossil bones people have dug out of the Aurora Fossil Museum Pungo River dig pits? The actual reject pile DIG PITS, not the mine before it closed. There are some nice fossils to be found there, but I’m curious if anyone has ever managed to find for example a complete rib, or a vert. with all its processes, or a full-on cetacean jaw bone, or by some miracle an entire skull. Most fossils from the pits are somewhat beat up at a minimum, just curious what the ceiling for quality is from the dig pits for bones.

I was there for maybe two hours a few years ago and scored a medium meg tooth near the end of the dig.  We were a group of 40 or so and I found one of the two we found so I considered that a good find. 

• Enjoyed 1

23 minutes ago, jpc said:

I was there for maybe two hours a few years ago and scored a medium meg tooth near the end of the dig.  We were a group of 40 or so and I found one of the two we found so I considered that a good find. 

For sure, finding a Meg tooth is always a good day, especially when looking for only 2 hours