White River fm. Mini Claw

PaleoNoel

Hi everyone! I found this claw while anthill hunting on the White River formation of northeastern Colorado. It's about 6 mm in length and 4 mm tall. Honestly I'm not certain that it's a fossil, but if it is I'm really excited to have found it. My first guess is that it's a small bird, but it could very well be mammalian or reptilian. Any input is appreciated.

IMG_7490.thumb.JPG.825143176958636c044308ecfee291bf.JPG

2017_1001_001326_001.thumb.JPG.f1b865b46eafe47f9c17d1c92e996766.JPG

2017_1001_001409_002.thumb.JPG.e86d74a0a052a0f77531a47c3921c652.JPG

The white objects don't look like typical fossilization from the White River formation.  I see some recent small rodent teeth and a jaw.  The close up is a claw.  The brown objects are fossil mammal tooth fragments.  

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 2

Hi,

I think that claw could well belong to some medium sized mammal (racoon, small fox,about  that size.) Imagine a ceratinous shaeth around it, then its not that small.

If its fossil or not is another question, maybe density, hardness, burntest can help you there. Nice find anyway.

Best regards,

J

• Enjoyed 1

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

• 3 weeks later...

@jpc I believe I showed this to you during my visit last summer, any thoughts with this closeup?

The claw has enough bits of matrix stuck to it.  It looks fossily to me, but I'll be darn-tootined if I could tell you what animal.