Cretaceous plant ID, Croatia

Antonjo

Hello, I found these two plants in platy limestones on Dec.19.2021. in Bojići, near Trogir, Croatia. Geology is late cretaceous-turonian. Can they be identified tro some degree?

DSC06466.thumb.jpg.8fa80c0289de14a06c91114c6f60eb5b.jpg

DSC06460.jpg

DSC06463.jpg

DSC06476.jpg

DSC06477.jpg

Edited by Antonjo
  • Enjoyed 1

I suppose they are terrestrial plants, maybe Pinophyta.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Hello its like a Araucaria purhaps

• I found this Informative 1

J collecting only fossils since 30 years old,ammonites,heteromorphe ammonite,crabs,fish trilobit, sea urshins, mammals, etc...J am married . Sorry for my enghish

• I found this Informative 2

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

This is some sort of conifer for sure.

While Geinitzia is close, I think Pagiophyllum sp. looks closer.

This looks very similar to Pagiophyllum I find in the Earlly Jurassic of Connecticut.

gallery_2806_718_829614.jpg

gallery_2806_718_137422.jpg

gallery_2806_718_57784.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Pachyphyllum (Pagiophyllum) rigidum was found in the Late Cretaceous sediments of Island of Hvar, southern Croatia, so it could be a good candidate.

"The Island of Hvar and Island of Šćedro belong to the Dalmatian part of the Adriatic Carbonate Platform (AdCP; Vlahović et al., 2005). Both islands are mainly composed of Upper Cretaceous deposits (Fig. 1a; Marinčić and Majcen, 1968). Lower Cretaceous deposits can be found in the central part and Paleogene within a narrow area in the southern part of the Island of Hvar (Fig. 1a; Marinčić and Majcen, 1968). Sedimentology, stratigraphy and fossil assemblages of the Island of Hvar were studied by Marinčić and Majcen (1968), Herak et al. (1976), Jerinić et al. (1994); Marinčić (1997), Mezga et al. (2006) and Diedrich et al. (2011).
Plant macrofossil association from the Island of Hvar, collected by local people and forwarded to the Geologische Reichsanstalt at Wienna, was described by Kerner (1896). Original plants determinations include Pteridophyta: Sphenopteris lesinensis Kerner; Cycadaceae: Pachypteris dalmatica Kerner, P. dimorpha Kerner, P. dalmatica var. dentata, P. ovata Brongniart, Thinnfeldia incisa Saporta, Dioonites cf. saxonicus Reich sp.; Coniferae: Walchiaceae Pachyphyllum (Pagiophyllum) rigidum Saporta, P. (P.) araucarinum Saporta; Araucariaceae Cunninghamia elegans Corda; Taxodiaceae Sphenolepidium kurrianum (Schenk) Heer and Ramus incertae sedis."

"Kerner (1896) described several leaves from Hvar as Pachyphyllum (Pagiophyllum) rigidum Saporta and Pachyphyllum (Pagiophyllum) araucarinum Saporta. His determinations were discussed by Berry (1916), who suggested them to be redefined as Araucaria toucasi
Saporta and Araucaria bladenensis Berry, species known from North America and France."

pdf

Edited by abyssunder
  • I found this Informative 3

Thomas Mann

My Library