pterosaur fossil (crow-sized) from the Early Cretaceous Period of the Yixian and Jiufotang Formations of China, dating from 125 to 120 million years ago

X-Ray Peter

Hi Community,

I am not quite sure what my latest addition to my fossil collection really is.  Kryptodrakon?

Kunpengopterus antipollicatus?

Confuciusornis? (But there is no tail and no indication of feathers)

Monkeydactyl”?

Please help me in identifying what it really is.

Size: 12" by 10"

Many thanks,

Peter

Pterosaurus 2.jpg

Hate to break it to you, but this is virtually certain the be a fake. It's a thin cut-out of a skeleton adhered to a flat rock.

Edited by Carl
  • I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 8

Agree, unfortunately you see lots of these type of fabrications on internet sites and they dupe many collectors.   Best you can do is try to obtain a refund. 

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 2

It came with a certificate of athenticy of the Asia Museum.

From rock etc. it looks very authentic and breaks very easily.

To me it looks quite authentic compared to my approx. 800 other fossils.

Look COA's are worthless documents when it comes to fossils, anyone can print one saying anything they want.  Asian museum? Where?

There is no bone detail in your specimen, bones are basically flat, its carved out of the matrix.  

Compare this one to yours

78355.thumb.jpg.1e0837713dd147827b375772500aa353.jpg

• I found this Informative 4
  • Enjoyed 2
  • I Agree 3

Anyone with a printer can print out a "Certificate Of Authenticity". They mean absolutely NOTHING.

Unless there are photos of the fossil as found, and before preparation, included with the COA, there is no worth to a COA.

• I Agree 5

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 hour ago, X-Ray Peter said:

It came with a certificate of athenticy of the Asia Museum.

From rock etc. it looks very authentic and breaks very easily.

To me it looks quite authentic compared to my approx. 800 other fossils.

Sorry to break it to you but you have been duped. AsiaMuseum is the username of the seller on (everybody’s favourite auction site) but they have no ties as far as I know with any actual natural history museums and often sell fabricated/ heavily restored fossils. Also as @Troodon said COA are pretty much worthless.

• I Agree 1

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).

7 minutes ago, indominus rex said:

Sorry to break it to you but you have been duped. AsiaMuseum is the username of the seller on (everybody’s favourite auction site) but they have no ties as far as I know with any actual natural history museums and often sell fabricated/ heavily restored fossils. Also as @Troodon said COA are pretty much worthless.

If thats the case he has the ability to return it

That's called a Dupesaurus Refundus. :whistle:

Edited by daves64
  • Enjoyed 3

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

2 hours ago, Troodon said:

Look COA's are worthless documents when it comes to fossils, anyone can print one saying anything they want.  Asian museum? Where?

There is no bone detail in your specimen its carved out of the matrix.  

Compare this one to yours

78355.thumb.jpg.1e0837713dd147827b375772500aa353.jpg

I have got a cast of that one, never knew how red the original is. Can you tell me where the original is?

Best regards,

J

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

3 hours ago, Mahnmut said:

I have got a cast of that one, never knew how red the original is. Can you tell me where the original is?

Best regards,

J

image.png.ac46b0d5927116fa260d4bdd2e9feb83.png

From the Wall Street Journal.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

1 hour ago, oilshale said:

The original is in the Goldfuss Museum in Bonn, Germany.

https://idw-online.de/de/news705874

https://www.ifgeo.uni-bonn.de/museen/goldfuss-museum/fossil-des-jahres-2021

Thats funny, I live in Bonn.

It seems it has been lent to other museums for some time and is back now. have to see when they open.

Sorry for distracting from the OPs  Pterosaur, but to come back to him, there are good replicas to be had for little money!

Best Regards,

J

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

The thing that stuck out to me was how solid the "skull" looks.  Pterosaur skulls and the other bones are more fragile than that as you can see in Troodon's photo.  You would need an artist very knowledgeable about pterosaur anatomy to fake that.  It would be too much work and it couldn't look too good.  Even the bones of one of the larger pterosaurs like Pteranodon are fragile and they tend to be found mostly crushed.  You're lucky to find a nice, identifiable bone end.

Before anyone buys an apparent pterosaur skeleton, you need to know what one looks like.  Some bones are inevitably missing, some are damaged or out of place.  You need to become your own expert on something like that because there's never a pterosaur expert around when you need one.  I'm lucky.  One of my friends who knows what to look for used to live about 25 miles away.  He moved out-of-state but I have another friend about as far away who could help me as well if I have a chance to buy a bone or a skeleton.

Edited by siteseer
clarification
  • I found this Informative 1

Thanks man

the skull is almost missing and just the outlines are visible. Teeth are just needle scratches. Bones, when raked with a needle sound almost hollow. not all bones are there.