Gastropod with barnacles from Florida

Mahnmut

Aloha,

I just got myself a cristmas present, not that old, but to beautiful to resist.

A fossil shell from Florida, encrusted in barnacles.

I havent got it yet, so here are two pics from the seller.

Who can tell me a species or even two? And an age, or is it all holocene?

Best regards,

J

barn1.jpg

barn2.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 6

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

I think the snail is a Strombus, either Strombus floridanus or Strombus sarasotensis.  The apex is covered with barnacles so I can't tell the species.  The barnacles may be Balanus tamiamiensis; MikeR may be able to say more certainly.  The association suggests the Late Pliocene Pinecrest bed of the Tamiami Formation of Florida.

Don

• I found this Informative 7

55 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

I think the snail is a Strombus, either Strombus floridanus or Strombus sarasotensis.  The apex is covered with barnacles so I can't tell the species.  The barnacles may be Balanus tamiamiensis; MikeR may be able to say more certainly.  The association suggests the Late Pliocene Pinecrest bed of the Tamiami Formation of Florida.

Don

Don is correct on Strombus floridanus Mansfield, 1930.  I personally think that S. sarasotaensis is nothing more than an elongated variant of S. floridanus and not a separate species.  The barnacle is Paraconcavus sarasotaensis (Weisbord, 1971) which is restricted to the lower part of the Pincecrest beds so yes on Late Pliocene Tamiami Formation.  The barnacle is distinctively red and I have quite a few fine examples myself.

Mike

• I found this Informative 5

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

Thanks to all of you!

Its always impressive to see ttf at "work"!

Here I could not even supply an exact location, and still you are able to give me two species and a formation even a sub-unit, that is great!

So did I get that right, the reddish color is a remnant of in vivo colouration, not local mineralization? It reminded me of pinkish fossils from Portugal, where in spots everything from bivalves to shark teeth may be slightly pink.

Aloha,

J

Edited by Mahnmut
further praise

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

'tis a beauty, to be sure! :look:

• I Agree 1

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

55 minutes ago, Mahnmut said:

Here I could not even supply an exact location, and still you are able to give me two species and a formation even a sub-unit, that is great!

So did I get that right, the reddish color is a remnant of in vivo colouration, not local mineralization? It reminded me of pinkish fossils from Portugal, where in spots everything from bivalves to shark teeth may be slightly pink.

Aloha,

J

Even more specific is the location is probably Sarasota County, Florida.

The red color is distinctive for the species and not from permineralization.

• I found this Informative 2
  • Thank You 1

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain