Mark Kmiecik

I'm not quite comfortable with the possible IDs offered for these three fossils. Again, I sincerely thank anyone who chimes in with even a guess.

A0003 -- Myalinella sp. or other bivalve, or something else? It has been suggested this is a Coprolite.

C0004 -- Lycopod leaf upper end both halves? The part that looks like Coprolite has a "peanut shell" pattern in the hollow of the half on the right.

C0085 -- Cyperites? I'm not convinced. Not comfortable with the taper. Perhaps a spine, either plant, arthropod or marine?

170170709_A0003Somethingburrowmaybe.thumb.JPG.b7d21f172efbdeca1d61d7f21af2adac.JPG 122699837_C0004Lycopodleafcoprolitemaybe.thumb.jpg.71f6d3e6b02afdc7b0108e62cbc7787b.jpg 1201649938_C0085Cyperitesbicarinatusmaybe.thumb.JPG.388cf47c66b88d311ff47a84ae92dcdf.JPG

Edited by Mark Kmiecik
  • Enjoyed 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

• 2 weeks later...

@bigred97

@connorp

@deutscheben

@fiddlehead

@Nimravis

@RCFossils

@Runner64

@stats

Please take another look at these. I realize that a photo is not as good as having it in hand, but I would certainly appreciate it if you guys take a second look. I would rather label something "indet." as opposed to misidentifying it. Also, each of these had only one ID opinion and I'd like to have a consensus of three or more opinions, if possible.

Sincere thanks,

Mark.

Edited by Mark Kmiecik

Mark.

I think the first is a coprolite as well. The second look like Cyperites, I think the blob is unrelated. Maybe a coprolite, or just indeterminate organic matter. The third I am still unsure. I feel like it is something interesting, but I am not sure what.

• Thank You 1

I think A0003 is a coprolite.

C004 has a Cyperites, but maybe there is something inside the embedded smaller concretion.  I see ones like this from the Kodat farm.  The concretions sometimes have fossils on the "outside" and smaller layers inside.  Usually, they are empty.

C0085 is a Cyperites.  The bulge might be where the attachment point was or just a chip when it opened.

Cheers,

Rich

• Thank You 1

For A0003, I think coprolite is most likely too, but it seems to me like there is a possibility it is a bivalve with a trace fossil- it would depend on the texture and macro-level detail of the fossil.

C0004 is Cyperites and something else of indeterminate nature- possibly a coprolite or organic or mineral material.

I think Cyperites is still the most parsimonious ID for C0086, but I agree it’s an unusual shape to see for one- having an expert look at in person would be the best way to be sure. I don’t think the round area near the base is anything other than an uneven split though.

• Thank You 1

I agree that A0003 is a coprolite.

I would likely label the other two as cyperites leaves. But would suggest getting more opinions for C0086 since not a very strong consensus yet.

• Thank You 1

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your input.

Mark.

On 1/3/2022 at 12:31 PM, deutscheben said:

I think Cyperites is still the most parsimonious ID for C0086, but I agree it’s an unusual shape to see for one- having an expert look at in person would be the best way to be sure. I don’t think the round area near the base is anything other than an uneven split though.

The round area around the base is a void. That's one of the reasons I'm not sold on Cyperites.

Mark.

On 1/3/2022 at 1:19 PM, Runner64 said:

I would likely label the other two as cyperites leaves. But would suggest getting more opinions for C0086 since not a very strong consensus yet.

That's why I'm hoping Jack (fiddlehead) chimes in.

Mark.

On 1/3/2022 at 12:31 PM, deutscheben said:

For A0003, I think coprolite is most likely too, but it seems to me like there is a possibility it is a bivalve with a trace fossil- it would depend on the texture and macro-level detail of the fossil.

I'm questioning whether this is a Coprolite because it lacks the "normal" inclusions and appears to have a hard, smooth surface. I wish I could take a better photo of this one.

Mark.