DisplayName

I did some surface hunting around the Big Brook region of New Jersey, came away with some nice finds but lots of questions. I did my best to guess from photos online, but would love a second opinion, and some of these I really just have no idea... maybe a worn mosasaur tooth? A fragment of sea turtle shell... or just a shell? A claw or small tooth from some sort of mammal? The last almost looks modern by the color but is fossilized behind (see final photo).

20211223_172654.jpg

20211223_172259.jpg

20211223_172414.jpg

20211223_172249.jpg

20211223_172312.jpg

20211223_172527.jpg

20211223_172440.jpg

Edited by DisplayName

Welcome to the Forum! :)

Don't know exactly what it could be, but it has nice bioerosion maks.20211223_172414.jpg.f9887c4832f344cbca5a33205a157dd2.thumb.jpg.b9efca8bf646b66a650da9050874db56.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Hello @DisplayName and welcome to the party.  Your tooth with the two large side cusps (that you've labeled "S. texanus") is what we used to call Plicatolamna arcuata back in the day, but which has now been reassigned to Archaeolamna kopingensis.  The two smaller teeth to the right of it don't look like angel shark (Squatina sp.) to me, rather they seem to be broken pieces of some lamnoid shark.  The "turtle shell" to me looks more like the internal mold (steinkern) of some bivalve.  The thing next to it is the broken-off blade of a shark tooth, either Scapanorhynchus or sand tiger.  Your two Squalicorax teeth both look like S. kaupi.  I don't think the "Ischyrhiza" is correct but it's too worn for me to make a better guess.  For Cretolamna appendiculata, the left tooth with one remaining side cusp is definitely correct; it might also be right for the other tooth, but without at least one remaining side cusp I'm unsure.  The three "fossil fragments" are most likely not fossils, just some of the many, many look-alike stones that crowd Big Brook (but don't throw them out yet, in case I'm wrong).  Hope this helps.

Amazing, thank you for the in depth analysis and explanation @Parthicus, (you noticed my liberal use of question marks haha). I have a feeling that, thanks to you, the next time I head out to these woods I'll actually know what I'm looking at!