BobWill

One of the great things about hash plates is how much there is to see when you focus in close. I learned another great thing when I noticed a crack in this one from the marine, Viola formation of Pontotoc County Oklahoma. When I finally decided to bust it open it was like taking a whole new fossil hunt from the comfort of home. Most of it is the usual brachiopods and bryozoans but this caught my eye once I got a really close look. The scale is millimetres so this thing is tiny. I have no clue what it could be so help me out if you can.

IMG_20211223_173715.thumb.jpg.cf79fd594b16c38c1613c717c8239fff.jpg

Size and shape reminds me of a conodont. Great discovery no matter what the experts say it is! 

Mike

14 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

Size and shape reminds me of a conodont. Great discovery no matter what the experts say it is! 

Mike

At first I discounted that idea thinking they didn't get larger than 2 mm but I just looked it up and see they can be as big as 5 mm so we cannot discount that possibility until someone has some other ID for it. It does look a little less like a tooth than most of the ones I've seen pictures of.

Put a drop of acid on it, observe any fizzing, then quickly rinse. Conodonts are made of phosphatic material and do not fizz readily.

Paper on conodonts:

https://digitalprairie.ok.gov/digital/collection/stgovpub/id/92554

Amsden, T.W. Upper Bromide Formation and Viola Group (Middle and Upper Ordovician in Eastern Oklahoma). Part I – Welling-Fite-Corbin-Ranch-Strata. Oklahoma Geological Survey. Bulletin 132 (1983)

Edited by DPS Ammonite
  • I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I'm not familiar with any conodonts with that shape (like a cogg wheel), and the color suggests it is calcitic and not phosphatic.  My suggestion is that it is a crinoid stem segment.

Don

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 3

17 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

I'm not familiar with any conodonts with that shape (like a cogg wheel), and the color suggests it is calcitic and not phosphatic.  My suggestion is that it is a crinoid stem segment.

Don

That idea may be borne out in these new images. I just found three more on the same plate. I have never seen columnals quite like these but I'm not familiar with those from the Ordovician.

IMG_20211223_221758.thumb.jpg.36664ad2d1b2af44fcb56503d768f334.jpgIMG_20211223_221601.thumb.jpg.b180675d4deb045977af984e4e4868ea.jpgIMG_20211223_221341.thumb.jpg.d634f49866b7fab28963f448bb43a4a7.jpg

• Enjoyed 2