Need help please....

Muuleey

It does look like a rock to me I’m afraid. No indication that it is a skull or any bone. Not seeing anything that really says fossil. Where in Louisiana was this found?  

• I Agree 4

Unfortunately, it looks to be just a suggestively shaped rock. I don’t see any bone texture, symmetry, or morphology that one would expect to see in a skull. 

Human beings are naturally inclined to see familiar shapes in things. It’s how our brains are wired. That’s why we see faces in the moon and bunnies in the clouds. It’s a phenomenon known as pareidolia. It’s not a bad thing. Just part of being human.

Your rock is not a skull, but your brain sees a slightly familiar shape and tries to identify that shape by comparing it with something it has seen before. So you get the idea of it being a croc or dinosaur skull like you mentioned in the tags of this thread, but if you really take a step back and look at the details you can see that it is not. 

Don’t be too discouraged! We all get fooled from time to time. Keep up the hunt and better luck next time! :) 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareidolia

Edited by FossilNerd
  • I Agree 2

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

13 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

Your rock is not a skull, but your brain sees a slightly familiar shape and tries to identify that shape by comparing it with something it has seen before.

True. For example, I would have said the second photo is a fossilized Yoda.  But the experts would undoubtedly tell me I was suffering from a case of Pareidolia.

• Enjoyed 1