JoeBader

Nice oncoids!

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Nice find! But @Al Dente raised a question for me. I had found a specimen that I labeled as stromatolite, found in the lower Ordovician of Goodhue County, Mn. It looks identical to yours. My question is how does one differentiate a stromatolite from an oncolite?

Mike

1 minute ago, minnbuckeye said:

Nice find! But @Al Dente raised a question for me. I had found a specimen that I labeled as stromatolite, found in the lower Ordovician of Goodhue County, Mn. It looks identical to yours. My question is how does one differentiate a stromatolite from an oncolite?

Mike

The University of California, Berkeley Museum of Paleontology's website answers your question very succinctly: "...oncolites, which are formed by cyanobacterial growth. Oncolites are very similar to stromatolites, but instead of forming columns, oncolites form nearly spherical growths."  https://ucmp.berkeley.edu/cambrian/marblemts.html

• I found this Informative 2
  • Thank You 1