Secure display case

strochim

Does anyone worry that their greatest "treasures" will get stolen if they are displayed openly in your house, and you go away on vacation? So far, I have not been willing to set the few fossils I have out on our furniture. 

What do you do when you are away from home? 

Does anyone have a security-type display case with shatterproof glass to deter thieves? Just wondering. 

I have most of my fossils in one room, others are scattered around the house for when I feel like sorting (usually micro matrix stuff). I don’t worry about anyone breaking in and stealing anything as they aren’t worth nearly as much as my TVs or other electronics. As far as going on vacation, the only people allowed in my house during that time are people I know and trust to watch my dog. Unless it’s a very specialized burglar, I would think anyone breaking in would be far more interested in things they could readily use or easily sell (TVs, tablets, gaming consoles, etc).

• I Agree 2

If you’re worried about very rare,  expensive or fossil with a lot of sentimentality to them  I would just hide them when you’re away. I have been burgled in the past and it is pretty horrid  but now I live in a little village I don’t have any concerns. We always let next door know  that we are away, 

Edited by Bobby Rico

I’m with @thelivingdead531. Most of the fossils in my collection are not worth much, even if they were I feel like the thieves would be after more readily sellable valuables like my TV than my fossils.

Edited by FossilNerd

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

I had a display case of trilobites turned over when I was burgled. Some was smashed and some of the labels got mixed up it was a mess.  I had found them all and could not remember the locations. When you are on holiday you need piece of mind. So I would do whatever makes you happy or to achieve this.

Edited by Bobby Rico

Some fossils can have a high market value.  So, a word of caution to any overly enthusiastic member before innocently sharing SPECIFIC precautions about securing their SPECIFIC high value fossils.  Please don't provide information that could help make you a target.  

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 4

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Consider a home security system and motion cameras.  Today there are lots of systems out there that can be installed by the homeowner that also can connect to a central call station and your phone. You can have 24 hr visibility to your treasures if you want.    Also consider a Liberty type gun safe that holds fossils instead of guns.  Good for both fire and theft.  They come in different sizes and fire ratings.

• I found this Informative 2

Any thief who targets rare or high dollar fossils in your home may already be tied into this small community, lurking.

• I Agree 3

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Also if your are talking high end fossil make sure they are probably insured.

Edited by Bobby Rico
  • I found this Informative 1

Thanks to all who responded. Lots of good advice. I have nothing high-end that would need insuring, but each and every fossil I have is special to me because of where it came from or how I got it. I was thinking of setting a few out at a time and periodically rotating them.