I have no idea what this coral or sponge is!!!

Mark fossil maniac

This fossil was found on the beach of Lake Huron, it seems extremely old, it looks saltwater and is the most complete piece of coral I've ever found

20211226_164921.jpg

20211222_181426.jpg

20211226_164915.jpg

Maybe something in the realm of stromatoporoids?

645105286_images(1).jpeg.299246341c52d9c02f3fdc3700857408.jpeg

Edited by abyssunder
  • I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 2

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

You got it guys!!! Densastroma podolicum -Silurian Actinostomatid Stromatoporoid fossil is what I found! Thank you

On your last picture, at the top, is it full of projections or depressions?? My eyes often play tricks and I can envision it either way!!

They are holes, depressions. It's hard to find this as a whole coral anywhere! Thank goodness for this site!20211230_091017.thumb.jpg.7e99f24d0e55506dca6505edce7662a3.jpg

The depressions were originally bumps (mamelons). The presence of canals and astrorhiza would have caused the erosion.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

The pillars and laminae are distinguishing features in stromatoporoids. If the external surface features are present (top of specimen) then might be a 100% positive ID.

Edited by abyssunder

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library