Estwing Paleo/Geo Pick: Alternate Uses

Megalodoodle

So, I recently received an Estwing geo/paleo pickaxe for Christmas. After its first use I learned that there are many more uses for the tool than tearing up sedimentary exposures. 1. Perfect climbing pick. Ever seen someone climb a sheer cliff in a movie? Well, you can use the paleo pick to climb steep slopes. (Just never cliffs, ALWAYS climb with a rope or don’t climb at all.) 2. Awesome wall mount. Display it on your wall and pretend you’re a gold prospector! Go ahead and share your alternate uses for the Estwing geo/paleo pick.

Masonry hammer. The chisel-ended type is essentially the same as the ones that bricklayers use.

Edited by Norki

2 hours ago, Megalodoodle said:

So, I recently received an Estwing geo/paleo pickaxe for Christmas.

Do you have the prospector type pick axe? Send us a photo. At least you can dig a scat hole / latrine.

The pick end rock hammer also has lots of uses.

EE7ADBD2-DBBA-469A-B303-3B001DCCDCE9.jpeg

Edited by DPS Ammonite

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I have got the chisel and (brick hammer) and almost regret not getting the pick, probably just have to get one of those as well.

On 12/29/2021 at 8:08 PM, DPS Ammonite said:

Do you have the prospector type pick axe? Send us a photo. At least you can dig a scat hole / latrine.

The pick end rock hammer also has lots of uses.

EE7ADBD2-DBBA-469A-B303-3B001DCCDCE9.jpeg

I got the prospector type pickaxe. Exactly like the one you pictured. I already have the pick-end hammer. Based on what I was able to lift with just the pick-end hammer, this thing (the prospector-type pickaxe you pictured) could probably easily flip pretty large boulders. I could also see it being used to knock down walls for construction on a house.

My wife used it as a hint for me to propose... she got me the pick so I'd get her the diamond.

I use mine as a climbing pick. Honestly I found this tool to be useless in most circumstances. It is great for scree and talus, but does nothing a folding shovel and geo hammer can do.

• 4 months later...

I have one of these larger Estwings as well. So far, I haven't found a single place near me I need it. 

I figure once I start traveling further to look for fossils it might have more use.

• 1 year later...

Hmmmm...old post but I'll take a swing.   ;)

We just got one for HVAC work. We use it to trench for refrigeration lines/electrical etc. when they need to be underground. In residential construction in confined locations, and or short trenches, it is very useful. It breaks up the topsoil quickly. The weight is much lighter than say a 5lb pick, its shorter, and easier to swing. 

Ohh and I happened to have it in my truck last week at STH, and can say that it also does a good job of removing overburden.... :)

The absolutely best alternative for one Estwing are two Estwings!

Tried several pick-hammers (professionel and not...) and think the Estwings are the best.

Good to handle, good quality and a good service

I used some pickhammers, some bricklayerhammers and some of the fat ones (Drilling hammer) now over 40 years and all had been good up to perfect

When Estwing first released these, I wanted one really bad. After a while of not getting one I began to realize I didnt really have a need for it.  I'm sure it can help move some some big and stubborn rocks, but I would also have to carry it around  everywhere and that doesnt sound enjoyable.

As for Estwings in general, I absolutely love them.  My primary geology pick is an Estwing I bought 40 years ago.  

• I found this Informative 1

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin