desert varnish tentaculites-like pseudofossil?

Mahnmut

Hello together,

I got this one as a gift, all the info I have is "rock with a nice pattern from the Sahara desert ".

I am relatively sure its not a fossil, even more so after looking at the macro-fotos.

Still it reminded me of tentaculites, and I wonder if there are fossils disguised by desert varnish, or if it is all pure geology.

What do you think?

Scale is metric, as you can tell by the ten/five small marks to a big one.

Best regards,

J

P1070839.JPG

P1070840.JPG

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

I think this is geologic in nature, but I don't know what would cause this.  :shrug:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Could this be a ventifact? I have a similar piece that’s a ventifact from the Kalahari desert and it bears a very similar resemblance in patterning. Interesting piece, I’m curious what others with more experience will say. 

48 minutes ago, TqB said:

It looks like cone-in-cone structure.

I had to look that one up, Interesting.

Wiki tells me that cone-in-cone structures where at first considered fossils ("Cophinus dubius") in the 19th century.

Thanks to all your replies.

I have seen desert varnish enhancing underlying structures, so cone-in-cone under a layer of varnish seems like a good tentative ID.

They do occur in Morocco and Algeria.

@TyrannosaurusRex,Wind definitely had its part in the shaping of this rock, so it is a ventifact.

below is an example for cone-in-cone from a popular auction site that I would now like to buy if overseas shipping wasnt more than the bid.

It really resembles my desert stone a lot, so I consider this enigma solved.

Thanks again,

J

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Mahnmut
additional info
  • Thank You 1

Thomas Henry Huxley

Hello,

it is indeed a form of wind erosion on a rock placed on the ground. Here is a sample that I collected around 1980 near the sand dunes south of Erfoud (Morocco), in side view with these characteristic figures and seen on the underside where it was placed.

DSCN2781.JPG

DSCN2779.JPG

DSCN2780.JPG

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 1

Ok, thats an ID in the strict sense that it appears to be identical to your sample.

I still wonder if the structure that the wind brought out was cone-in cone, but thats not a fossil question any more.

Nice rock!

• Thank You 1

Thomas Henry Huxley

Hello, @Mahnmut

thank you for reactivating my curiosity on the subject; I just found this :

https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/Silicified-Cone-in-Cone-Structures-from-Erfoud-A-Lugli-Reimold/0dab2f78b02cfa6225be887eb05939ac069de1ce  (only abstract)

.... which answers our question

and article:

https://www.univie.ac.at/geochemistry/koeberl/publikation_list/263-Shatter cones-Impact Tectonics-2005.pdf

I wish you a good reading .

• I found this Informative 1

If my mind reacts it correctly, it was "maybe" a topic on TFF with something  similar, I can't remember, but the OP gave the exact ID.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library