Is this trilobite real?

I got this trilobite fossil from my mom on Christmas. Something about it doesn't seem right to me. It doesn't look like other specimens I see online. What is up with the eye-like bumps on top of its head? Why is the head so smooth? I'm just a person casually interested in paleontology, so I am by no means an expert. I would appreciate it very much if I could get some insight from people who are knowledgeable in this field. Thank you. 

(I didn't realize my photos needed a ruler for scale until after I took the pictures. Since I don't want to retake the photos, the fossil is about the size of a kiwi fruit. If that doesn't help, let me know and I'll replace the current photos with ones that have a ruler. Sorry for any inconvenience. :DOH:)

20220101_142636.jpg

20220101_142537.jpg

20220101_142624.jpg

20220101_142607.jpg

20220101_142708.jpg

20220101_142658.jpg

20220101_142648.jpg

Edited by Chomby
Asked another question in the text portion.

To my eye, this is a cast replica of a calymenid with the trilobite having been painted. The "bumps" you see are glabellar lobes that are the hallmark of most calymenidae. That being said, I still think this is a complete fabrication. 

EDIT: It could also possibly be an incomplete steinkern of a Flexicalymene ouzregui that has been painted and had some missing parts restored. 

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 6

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

19 minutes ago, Kane said:

To my eye, this is a cast replica of a calymenid with the trilobite having been painted. The "bumps" you see are glabellar lobes that are the hallmark of most calymenidae. That being said, I still think this is a complete fabrication. 

EDIT: It could also possibly be an incomplete steinkern of a Flexicalymene ouzregui that has been painted and had some missing parts restored. 

Ahh... So it's either partially or totally fake. I think I'll take your word for it! To be honest, even if it was real, it's not that great-looking anyway. My mom will see if she can return it. If not, oh well. It's not like it cost that much. Thanks for your help! :dinosmile:

Edited by Chomby
  • Enjoyed 1

Would you like to check for any air bubbles, ideally with a magnifying glass?

7 hours ago, Chomby said:

it's not that great-looking anyway

That´s the point. You don´t like it. When you are going to get another one, you may ask here beforehand. Some really great Trilo experts here! 

Problem with Trilos is: Some really good looking ones are real. And "ugly" ones can be completely fake. It very much depends on the species, common vs. rare species.

Franz Bernhard

• I Agree 1

Take note of what it says @FranzBernhard  before buying another trilo, upload the photos here, and ask. In this type of fossil there are many restorations, and forgeries circulating, there are also good pieces, the problem is to differentiate them.

If it were mine, I would try to return it, it is not pretty, (as you say). I am not an expert, but there is a lot of paint on this piece. :shakehead: