val horn

My first thought was that this was another piece of turtle which is common in the area, but when I looked at it again it is seems to be curved in to many ways.  The "coral" growing on one edge is also unusual for the area-- i dont know what that reflects either.  I will much appreciate help in understanding what I am looking at.

IMG_0822.jpg

IMG_0823.jpg

IMG_0833.jpg

IMG_0834.jpg

IMG_0830.jpg

Is that last pic a natural end. Maybe better focus if possible. Sharp close up of the coral would also be interesting. I recall some encrusters from the Severn along with the button coral Micrabacia.

hopefully these are sharper, i believe that the visible edges are actual  rather than artifactual but it is very hard to be certain with the  degree of preservation.

IMG_0834.jpg

IMG_0849.jpg

IMG_0841.jpg

IMG_0843.jpg

IMG_0848.jpg

I'm not an expert, but what I'm seeing is a piece of weathered bone. The "Coral" on the edge the bone looks to me to be part of the internal structure of the bone, although it is odd that the holes are much larger.

skull bone has those big irregular holes. Also clams make round burrows in rocks and bone, shell etc in marine environments. I didn't know what the OP meant about coral until you pointed this out.

• 1 month later...