Pleistocene skull cap id help peccary?

jikohr

Hi everyone,

I recently acquired this piece which I'm fairly certain is a piece of the brain case. The issue is I don't know what animal it's from. I've looked at pictures of skulls of cetaceans, deer, bear, camel, everything I could think of. The closest I saw is a fossil peccary skull that was for sale on etsy but I couldn't find any other examples to compare it to. What do you all think?

measurements are 2.25 inches wide 2 inches tall, 2.5 inches long.

IMG_9318.JPG

IMG_9319.JPG

IMG_9320.JPG

IMG_9321.JPG

IMG_9322.JPG

IMG_9323.JPG

IMG_9324.JPG

To me it looks more like a piece of a vertebra, specifically a cervical.  I can’t get to my bones this evening to take a picture of what I think I’m seeing, but maybe others will chime in also. 

• I Agree 1

I agree with @ClearLake, it looks like the top half of a cervical vertebra from a horse. It looks especially similar to the four vertebrae at the bottom of this picture. 

image.png.0c275ef6fa1f80270c9d5999456fd372.png

Thanks @GPayton, I’m glad you had some pictures to show. I can’t get to my bones because my garage is blocked with all our plants for our one night of winter temperatures. It was 82 degrees yesterday and tonight close to freezing temps. Winter in SE Texas!  Haha!