DPS Ammonite

Two years ago I lost some fossils at the Flagg Gem and Mineral Show in Mesa, Arizona. The one that I most cared about was a large piece of Durania austinensis that I found near Plano, Texas; it always challenges most paleontologist to give an ID. A friend of mine from the Flagg Foundation asked me in early December if I could ID a fossil that they found in their storage shed. I told him exactly what it was and where it was found. I even showed him the photo on The Forum of the same piece. Although a geologist, he had no idea what it was. He had posted it on Reddit fossil site and was branded a kook for posting it; they had no idea what it was. I was his next choice to give an ID.

Later he asked me if a metal cash box full of fossils was mine; yes it was. Everything lost was now found.

The moral; go the the Forum first for an ID. Posting a photo of a fossil on the Forum can help prove ownership.

2805669B-93EE-4617-8316-B5B608A10EBF.jpeg

68EF24CF-C37B-453A-B398-02A7F4EC43CF.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 5

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

@DPS Ammonite That piece actually reminds me of a piece of Indonesian amber I have. The resin dripped onto a branch with a leaf laying over it, leaving a curved impression of the leaf. Or a branch fell on the resin trapping a leaf in between. :shrug: Maybe yours was a mud flow around something?

4.JPG

DSC_0003.JPG

Edited by daves64

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

My piece is identified as a rudist clam from the Cretaceous; not amber. Although, I would love to find a big hunk of Cretaceous amber.

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Oh no, I know yours isn't amber, I was just saying it reminded me of this piece. Unfortunately, I didn't find this piece of amber, it was part of a 1/2 pound package I purchased.

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Glad that specimen is with you again!

2 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Although a geologist, he had no idea what it was. He had posted it on Reddit fossil site and was branded a kook for posting it;

LOL!! Texas rule at its best again :heartylaugh:. These aren´t really rare in certain parts of Texas, aren´t they?

Franz Bernhard

41 minutes ago, FranzBernhard said:

Glad that specimen is with you again!

LOL!! Texas rule at its best again :heartylaugh:. These aren´t really rare in certain parts of Texas, aren´t they?

Franz Bernhard

Small pieces are common in the Austin Group chalks, big ones like these are not. Besides the creek that borders McKinney and Plano, (hint, hint), I found pieces in the North Sulphur River. When I first found this I thought that it might be a coral or petrified wood.  Never occurred that it might be a bivalve. I love to stump geologists with it.

For rocks, the blue quartz in Llanite from Central Texas fools many geologists. I say that if it is a porphyritic rhyolite/granite then what is the blue mineral. They can find the feldspars and the mafics , but not the quartz.

https://www.mindat.org/loc-223196.html

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llanite. Image below.

2E82954B-7A26-41E6-98BA-6ABE040122E5.jpeg

Edited by DPS Ammonite
  • Enjoyed 2

That blue quartz is very nice and misleading. I have a stretched garnet, considered to be staurolite or rutile at first sight by mineralogist. I love such specimens.

Have this posted already in another topic, but can´t resist doing it again. "My" largest radiolitid specimen...:D:

A one of a kind, among hundreds and hundrets of much smaller specimens. My first thought was, its a piece of sandstone...

Radiolitide_25_4362_kompr.jpg

Franz Bernhard