AJ the Tyrant

Let’s see everyone’s rarest fossil specimen(s). Time for a lot of envy!

Edited by AJ the Tyrant

you might not get too many responses... there was a very similar post here a few months ago.  

Edited by jpc
  • I Agree 3

I do not know if this is rare in general, but it is for me, as I never seen anything like it (the shape marked by a drawn circle around) not knowing what it is (size about 1 mm), from Late Ordovician in Norway:

1464489929_MIKROFORMSLUF1KALVSJF.thumb.jpg.aa91834c17a803e1b5edbf2d58be73e3.jpg

Edited by PaleoOrdo

• AJ the Tyrant changed the title to Everyone, show your rarest fossil specimens!
9 hours ago, PaleoOrdo said:

not knowing what it is

Th not knowing would drive me nuts.  The shape is fantastical!

this looks like a cross between an amoeba and a pixie.

7206E3AE-115D-4725-948C-706296C747ED.jpeg.f6f4e60b9311a98af2df9a66dc74d4a3.jpeg

12 hours ago, PaleoOrdo said:

I do not know if this is rare in general, but it is for me, as I never seen anything like it (the shape marked by a drawn circle around) not knowing what it is (size about 1 mm), from Late Ordovician in Norway:

Things in cross section are always difficult to identify.  :unsure:

• I Agree 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

9 hours ago, ChristineR said:

The shape is fantastical!

this looks like a cross between an amoeba and a pixie.

Yes, it is a nice shape, sometimes one can find things if we get an eye for the smallest things, somehow fascinating I think. We may never know what it is.

• I Agree 1

My rarest fossil is a partial Eohiodon. I'd found this at the American Fossil Quarry in kemmerer wyoming

629073895_eohiodon1.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

:trex::brokebone: Enthusiastic Fossil Hunter bone_brokerev.pngtrexrev.png

On 1/3/2022 at 9:02 PM, PaleoOrdo said:

On 1/4/2022 at 9:14 AM, Fossildude19 said:

Things in cross section are always difficult to identify.  :unsure:

Based upon the shape and age it reminds me of a cross section of the stromatoporoid genus Aulacera that I find in the Late Ordovician. 

Maybe not the species in the below link, but something similar? :shrug:

http://www.lakeneosho.org/More25.html

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

17 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

Based upon the shape and age it reminds me of a cross section of the stromatoporoid genus Aulacera that I find in the Late Ordovician. 

Maybe not the species in the below link, but something similar? 

Thanks a lot for the suggestion. I googled about Aulacera and this genus indeed have species which look similar to this shape and size, since according to one article by B.D. Webby, "most common structures found on the outer surfaces of cylidrical labechiids (especially Aulacera) are vertical to spiral ridges, nodes and papillae". My speciemen has the form of papillae. Hence, it can be a species of Aulacera or of another labechiid. And this family, labechiidae, is found from Late Caradoc in the Oslo-field in Norway (not present in Mid-Ordovician as in China and Laurentia).

When I took a look at the speciemen you linked, I found one picture similar in shape as another rare fossil I presented on this website before, but which was not identified. I present that one again here, and next the Aulacera one from the link for comparison.

IMG_20210808_115526.thumb.jpg.4dde15562e534cdb3a715dc8e57cef85.jpg 

image.png.bc566ed00bc4fb5e5ef766ee2f6780e7.png

Edited by PaleoOrdo