Fossil Laws For The California Marble Mountains

DardS8Br

Sorry if this is the wrong topic category, I don’t have much experience with this forum.

I recently found out that there are Cambrian fossils in the Marble Mountains in California, and I’m wondering what the laws are for collecting there. I’ve always wanted to collect Cambrian fossils and that’s the closest location to me, but I don’t want to break any laws. If it is legal, what tools and equipment should I bring? Thanks! 

Who owns the land: BLM; State; US Park Service? The owner makes the rules.

Edited by DPS Ammonite
  • I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

This map shows the area as National Forest.  As I understand current regulations, casual collecting of common invertebrate fossils is normally permitted on National Forest or BLM land. (Happy to be corrected by any lawyer-paleontologist; I am neither.)

On the other hand, if you find a vertebrate fossil on public lands, your best advice is to treat it like a rattlesnake: Do not disturb; back away slowly; report to authorities. The only exception I'm aware of is things like common shark teeth, but be aware that they're in a legal twilight zone.

And if you collect a fossil of any kind on National Park or National Monument land, then may G-d have mercy on your soul.

But this spot is National Forest. And Macrostrat makes it Paleozoic marine rocks, so we're probably not talking vertebrate fossils. You should be fine collecting a knapsack full of fossils.

At least some of them are on BLM land. It is best to contact the local office to get details on quantities and tool use.

https://www.blm.gov/visit/marble-mountain-rock-collecting-area-trilobite

You should be fine collecting a knapsack full of fossils.”

The BLM and the US Forest Service have much lower limits.

Edited by DPS Ammonite

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

2 minutes ago, kgbudge said:

The only exception I'm aware of is things like common shark teeth, but be aware that they're in a legal twilight zone.

Shark teeth and even trace fossil made by vertebrates are considered vertebrate fossils by the US Forest Service and the BLM; collection without a permit is forbidden.

3 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

At least some of them are on BLM land. It is best to contact the local office to get details on quantities and tool use.

https://www.blm.gov/visit/marble-mountain-rock-collecting-area-trilobite

Yeah, that site is giving pretty much the usual guidance. No commercial collecting. No power tools. The rules are aimed at permitting only amateur collecting.

1 minute ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Shark teeth and even trace fossil made by vertebrates are considered vertebrate fossils by the US Forest Service and the BLM; collection without a permit is forbidden.

Thanks for the clarification. 

@kgbudge See my section of the BLM and Forest Service rules, regulations and laws regarding collecting. It is best to contact the local office since they might have a different interpretation than you or I.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/87115-my-favorite-paleontology-resources/

Edited by DPS Ammonite

Just now, DPS Ammonite said:

@kgbudge See my section of the BLM and Forest Service rules, regulations and laws regarding collecting. It is best to contact the local office since they might have a different interpretation than you or I.

Always a good idea. 

Thanks for the responses. I’ll contact the local offices. Since the fossils I’m looking for are specifically Cambrian, I won’t be finding very many vertebrate fossils

A lot of Marble Mountains are actually in the "Trilobite Wilderness Area" which really limits the hunting. There is a good US Gov website dedicated to it. I'll try to look it up later as I'm away from home for the moment. 

Trilobite Wilderness Area has one dedicated “rock collecting area” where fossil collecting is permitted. 

Now is the season for visiting the Mojave! I am planning to go in the next few weeks myself.  Good luck, and let us hear how you do. 

Here is the BLM Trilobite Wilderness Area web page  https://www.blm.gov/visit/trilobite-wilderness  . The area @ChristineR is referring to (I think) is the Latham Shale site near Cadiz CA. I have hunted there a couple times. Lots of trilobite cephalons but very few complete ones. I went in Oct and will be posting my trip report in a bit. Hope to go back next Oct on my next trip to the SW US. If you go, enjoy. If you look in the trip report page here I do have one there that will give you ideas on what it's like. Good luck!

1 hour ago, Sjfriend said:

next trip to the SW US.

What are your top destinations for a SW US fossil trip? Obviously, generalized locations only.