Hardly anybody ever talks about the Cambrian fossils of the southern midcontinent (USA). They're super-underappreciated. Show us what you've got!

Here's one to start us off: Thorax and pygidium of a trilobite, possibly Orygmaspis, typically referred to as "Orygmaspis cf. Orygmaspis llanoensis" but probably a different species altogether. Note the two pairs of macropleural spines marking the final thoracic segments. Davis Formation (late Cambrian: Furongian), south side of Highway 8, St. François County, Missouri.

154810612_10103111654216804_6828987570470185731_n.jpeg

• Enjoyed 7
  • Learned something new 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Diplocaulus

I sadly do not have any Southern fossils, but I'm excited to see how this thread develops!:)

• 2 months later...

Here are some more specimens from the late Cambrian (Furongian) Davis Formation of St. François County, Missouri, USA. These were found and prepped by @California Dave.

D7EC865E-2770-41D8-88D6-C3F5CDC66210.jpeg

CFDE7BE1-84F3-4BA1-804F-D56392CC467D.jpeg

96AF7534-3CBA-47A8-B1FC-86F45DAB189A.jpeg

3FA4D5AB-CAE0-4239-8055-2B2A5FB105FD.jpeg

• Enjoyed 4
  • 1 month later...

One more, this one a ventral view of an Orygmaspis thoracopygon from the Davis Formation (Furongian, Missouri, USA). Note mostly buried pleural spines with tips barely emerging from sediment. 

E641A2B0-AD48-4390-ABEA-14B298BCFEC7.jpeg

• Enjoyed 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Found two weeks ago by Cam: this cranidium+thorax of what appears to be Orygmaspis sp. based on the faintly visible macropleural spines. Davis Formation, Late Cambrian (Furongian), St. François County, Missouri, USA. 

7F56E504-FEF2-44BE-A40D-D2C2AD1E58DB.jpeg

• Enjoyed 2
  • 2 weeks later...
Ironhead42

I have barely begun fossil hunting in Oklahoma even though I live here. I have made two trips to Texas so far to collect though. Some nice specimens you have. I am looking forward to seeing what else others post that I might find here in Oklahoma.

• I Agree 1

Ironhead, it's quite a state for fossils! The Ordovician (most south-central OK) is outstanding for trilobites and echinoderms, and of course the Devonian trilobites (SE OK) are world-class. The Pennsylvanian and Permian (eastern and central OK) are quite nice as well, though I haven't really spent time in them. Good Cretaceous too (southern OK)! As for the Cambrian and Mississippian, I know there are decent trilobites in both, despite the limited outcrop area. I look forward to seeing your future posts about OK finds.

Posted (edited)

Just saw that @Raistlin has posted a nice example of a southern midcontinent Cambrian trilobite here:

Edited by pefty
  • Enjoyed 1