Theropod tooth

fgiarro

Hello- Some years ago I've bought this dinosaur tooth, labeled as theropod tooth; it comes from Carter County, South Dakota (Hell Creek Formation)- Its lenght is

roughly 0,95" . I think it could be a tooth of a Nanotyrannus (or a juvenile Tyrannosaurus?), but I'd like to know the opinion of some expert about that- Many thanks in advance, Fabio

tooth5.jpg.343cc2ac998edc48264ed57ad2ea2427.jpg

tooth2.jpg.24a5370525cc04e6373c739b9821af61.jpgtooth4.jpg.8767fd0178eb36afdee414d3f18cb871.jpg

Edited by fgiarro

Thanks Troodon, I was thinking the same ID (I forgot to put the species's name in the message)- It isn't really clear if Nanotyrannus is a real species or not (as far as I know)- Ciao Fabio

37 minutes ago, fgiarro said:

It isn't really clear if Nanotyrannus is a real species or not (as far as I know)- Ciao Fabio

Very real and very clear:D

• Thank You 1

I recommend reading this I also wasn’t sure untill I did read it.

thanks @Troodon for that quality contribution 

• Thank You 2

10 hours ago, Troodon said:

Can I see a straight in photo of the base.  Looks like Nanotyrannus.

I attach a couple of pictures

den1.thumb.jpeg.3dbb1ae938b54eeb21563a56f1e51f7b.jpeg

den2.jpeg

Not what I expected.  Still could be Nanotyrannus but I would like to rule out Dakotaraptor.  However need the following information in mm.

CH, CBL, CBW and serration density

1046026505_TheropodtoothID3.thumb.jpg.8ddf4b5ba51c514cb8edc180e1e5f174.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Hi, CH is 20 mm, CBL is 11,5 mm, CBW is 5 mm and serration density should be (if I got it well) 13 in 3 mm- Ciao Fabio

Hi, the medial carina has denticles only in the tip, probably the other parts are worn out- Anyway (to my eyes) the serration density looks the same on both sides of the tooth tip- Thanks 

It sort of looks like you can measure the density of the mesial serrations further down than the tip (and mesial looks like it might be denser than distal.

ven if you're only working with nubs or footprints from what was a serrate, it's worth getting whatever you can--it's a key factor.

• Thank You 1