Juvenile Tyrannosaurus/ Nanotyrannus tooth?

Rikache

Hi there everyone! I've recently been adding specimens to my collection and I came across a listing advertising a juvenile tyrannosaur / nanotyrannus tooth coming from the Hell Creek formation in Montana. The seller is very reputable thus I have no doubt that the specimen itself is truly a fossil. Instead, I was wondering if anyone could help me positively identify the specimen as being from a juvenile tyrannosaur / nanotyrannus (depending on which camp you come from). Thank you!

image_6487327 (3).JPG

image_6487327 (4).JPG

image_6487327 (5).JPG

image_6487327 (6).JPG

image_6487327 (7).JPG

The base profile is the key.  You see how its a roughly rectangular shape with a slight pinch to the long sides?  Those are the hallmarks for a nanotyrannus tooth. 

• I found this Informative 1

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

Do you have a locality where this tooth was found? 

Can I see a better photo of the base without fingers.

FYI most sellers are reputable however identification of dinosaur material is not their strong point

3 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Do you have a locality where this tooth was found? 

Can I see a better photo of the base without fingers.

FYI most sellers are reputable however identification of dinosaur material is not their strong point

Unfortunately that is the only photo of the base I have. I spoke with the seller and he said he found the tooth while fossil hunting in the Hell Creek Formation in Montana but no more specific locality was given.

Unfortunately thats not a locality I can determine if its indeed the Hell Creek Fm.    Need a better photo of the base and locality otherwise and its all guesswork and an indeterminate tyrannosaurid.

PS if your seller collected it he should be able to provide you a County 

• Thank You 1

4 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Unfortunately thats not a locality I can determine its its indeed the Hell Creek Fm.    Need a better photo of the base otherwise its all guesswork and an indeterminate tyrannosaurid 

Thank you for your input anyways! I'll more than likely make the purchase nevertheless so I'll quote you on more photos once it arrives to possibly obtain a more accurate identification.

A locality is the most important requirement when trying to identify isolated theropod teeth.   Montana has many adjacent formations with different dinosaurs.  If its HC we really need to see if the pinch in the base is on one side or both with Nanotyrannus teeth its the latter.  Hard to determine from the photo provided 

• I found this Informative 4

36 minutes ago, Troodon said:

A locality is the most important requirement when trying to identify isolated theropod teeth.   Montana has many adjacent formations with different dinosaurs.  If its HC we really need to see if the pinch in the base is on one side or both with Nanotyrannus teeth its the latter.  Hard to determine from the photo provided 

Gotcha, I'll see if I can get a hold of that information then. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

Update: Tooth was found in Powder River County, Montana on private ranchland.

On 1/5/2022 at 11:39 AM, Troodon said:

Thanks thats Hell Creek. So when you get the tooth shoot us a photo of the base.

Back with an update on the tooth. I finally received the specimen in the mail and was able to take some better photos of the base. The first two photos show the tooth's base with the serrations facing the left. The third and last photo shows the base of the tooth with the serrations facing to the right. Let me know if you need any more photos and thank you! 

image_50383617.JPG

image_50334465.JPG

image_50368257.JPG