Limestone megalodon preparation

JorisVV

Hi everyone,

I need some help regarding my first preperation work. It's a Cuban Meg tooth in limestone. What is the best way to get the limestone off?

cache_2758568.jpeg

cache_2758567.jpeg

45 minutes ago, JorisVV said:

What is the best way to get the limestone off?

If you don't have the experience, you should let someone else do the work for you. This looks too risky to me for beginners. What tools do you have?

• I Agree 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

If you are going to prepare that Meg, and you do not want to ruin it then you might want to purchase some cheap fossils to practice on and then prepare this. I learned this the hard way when I prepared an oreodont skull with almost no experience, and basically ruined the skull.

Good luck! :)

-@fossilhunter21

• Enjoyed 1

Just don´t remove the matrix on the back side. This gives stability and, more important, great context! Without any matrix, it would be a Meg like many others. With matrix - its a personality!

Franz Bernhard

• I Agree 6

8 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

Just don´t remove the matrix on the back side. This gives stability and, more important, great context! Without any matrix, it would be a Meg like many others. With matrix - its a personality!

Franz Bernhard

That would be my choice as well

1 hour ago, holdinghistory said:

If I did anything I would remove the limestone from the root, and leave the back.

I was doing that. But the root matrix mostly came off. Some remains and it went really good.